The Mystery of the Missing Mouthwash

Old 01-14-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Mystery of the Missing Mouthwash

OK....so AH has been white knuckling sobriety for a little over a month now.
A week ago, our son had oral surgery. He was given a prescription for antiseptic mouthwash that was heavily alcohol based (I am MRSA positive so it is important to protect the family especially after surgery)
Yesterday, my son went to use said mouthwash and it is gone. All of it. Yes, including the bottle.
No one knows where it went. Apparently, "Not Me" was at it again and stole the mouthwash for his own use. I didn't see anyone take it. I cannot say for sure that anyone drank it. I don't know if it just got moved to some mysterious "safe" place and I am trying really hard to not blame AH for the disappearance but he did get up and "watch tv" for awhile last night and then came to bed passed out snoring around 3, woke up late, took a "french shower" and was acting rather guilty all morning.....
Maybe I am just projecting my failed expectations on the poor man. Maybe not. Either way....the mouthwash is still missing.

It is awful to think that even if he didn't do it, I am so conditioned to expecting his failure that I just assume he did and move on. Ugh.

Going to find a meeting to pop in on today. I think I need to hand this one over.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oddsunflower,

"Not Me" lives at your house also. He seems gets around. I don't know how many times I have heard that name. I just wish he wold come clean and maybe do the dishes when i ask whose turn it is to do them. I hope it's just misplaced mouth wash and not AH drinking it. Prayers for you. Keep strong.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always wished that Not Me would pull their weight around here since it seems like they eat a lot, make a lot of messes and just cause chaos.
I do hope that it has just been misplaced and AH didn't drink it.
I am working through a part of my own recovery where I ask a question and then just accept the answer I am given as their truth (not THE truth just their truth). There is no reason to badger someone who wants to lie...it only makes ME feel bad in the end. I have chosen to let this one go without an interrogation but I am going to need a little more help from myself to let this one to to the HP.
I will give one last look for the mouthwash and then HP going get a talk from me.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never once had a gut suspicion around my alcoholic and was wrong. Even when I certainly thought I was going nuts, he always was the culprit. I'm sorry for your discovery and while of course I hope it just got misplaced, I have strong doubts. My X used to get into every single thing when he stayed with me, from mouthwash to perfumes to hairsprays to vapor oil we put into the humidifier to any kind of cooking extract I kept in the cabinet. It's too bad if he took something your son needed to heal from a surgery. I learned however that they just could not be trusted. I suffered from severe bronchitis once and recall looking for my medicine only to find the bottle of syrup completely empty.

You'll find out eventually, but odds are that your gut is right. I'm sorry for what you are going through.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Who loses mouthwash?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Who loses mouthwash?
Good question.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
I never once had a gut suspicion around my alcoholic and was wrong. Even when I certainly thought I was going nuts, he always was the culprit. I'm sorry for your discovery and while of course I hope it just got misplaced, I have strong doubts. My X used to get into every single thing when he stayed with me, from mouthwash to perfumes to hairsprays to vapor oil we put into the humidifier to any kind of cooking extract I kept in the cabinet. It's too bad if he took something your son needed to heal from a surgery. I learned however that they just could not be trusted. I suffered from severe bronchitis once and recall looking for my medicine only to find the bottle of syrup completely empty.

You'll find out eventually, but odds are that your gut is right. I'm sorry for what you are going through.
I am very afraid that my gut is right. I called the surgeon and asked for another bottle and just told them it got spilled (ugh my enabling skills are still active) but I will keep it in a safe place so my son can use it and out of the bathroom cabinet.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad your son got a replacement mouthwash. I'm so sorry that you have to 'guard' mouthwash in your own home
Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

and I am trying really hard to not blame AH for the disappearance

why? mouthwash does not just disappear. i've misplaced keys, phones, pack of cigarettes, but i've never LOST a bottle of mouthwash. or toothpaste, toothbrushes or Qtips.

so - if you trust your gut, what then?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My XAH drank a whole bottle of Tylenol w/Codine after my 5 yr old had surgery. He also stole my pain pills after I had surgery.

Your post does not surprise me in the least. Glad you are going to a meeting.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

White knuckling does not work. If he gets in a program, like AA, he may make it but there has to be a deep desire to be sober.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I wouldn't battle your instincts too hard OSF. It seems pretty obvious what happened.

You can really tie yourself in knots with alternative stories, but is it worth the effort? It does seem strange that he didn't just sneak out and get a bottle of vodka though.