Quack, quack, quack

Old 11-08-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quack, quack, quack

...and the drama continues...
Yesterday, we found out unexpectedly that we lost about 600 dollars a month in income. AH comes home drunk declaring all kinds of stuff like he was going to shave his head to save on the cost of shampoo and hair gel (what is that like 3 bucks a month), he is going to get a second job (he barely makes it through the first one) and he is going to give up booze and weed because "my kids need to eat". I asked him if it was that easy to give it up, why hasn't he done it for his rapidly failing health. He told me that his health was not important but his kids having food was. LOL....ok....I expect that he will come home drunk today and say that he will start his plan on Monday. Of course Monday is a holiday and so it will become Tuesday....I do not know if his body will hold up to 4 more days of binge drinking. He is really in a very bad place at the moment.
As for me? I suggested I get a job which he quickly poopooed. I have worked about 14 MONTHS of the 24 years we have been married and he will just "not have it". Today, I spent the day filling out applications. This afternoon, I have 3 interviews set up for next week. I will be fully employed by next Friday. That is my goal!!!

I finally got the nerve to post a little about my daughter on another board and it felt pretty good to get some of that out. I cannot deal with all of this at once so just me and one day at a time right now....
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oddsunflower View Post
. I have worked about 14 MONTHS of the 24 years we have been married and he will just "not have it". Today, I spent the day filling out applications. This afternoon, I have 3 interviews set up for next week. I will be fully employed by next Friday. That is my goal!!!
Kudos to you for looking for a job Oddsunflower. When it looks like the boat you are on is sinking, it is good to start building another boat.

Sorry about the quacking . . . it can be funny but when it is so predictable, it is less funny.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, that's great about looking for a job and really getting to it, well done!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oddsunflower,
That is great that you have interviews and hope to have a job by next Friday. Im rooting for you. I know it can be scary out there. But you have made it this far. Which means you are strong and have a good head on your shoulders. Please let us know if you need any help. We v are b here for you.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

......I have 3 interviews set up for next week. I will be fully employed by next Friday. That is my goal!!!
Boy, talk about decisive! I read about your daughter and can see the strain you're under. I hope your positive steps change your outlook over time no matter what addiction thows at you. Good luck with the interviews.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you show up properly dressed and can give the impression of being prompt and reliable, you certainly will be employed in a week. Many will be hiring holiday help, and the old saying applies: good help is hard to find.

When people are going to discourage you, it's best to not even tell them your plans. Go for it.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Velma, there are many jobs where employers can't even find people who will show up on time or at all! Once you've been hired and shown how reliable, self-sufficient, thorough, etc., you are, I think you'll find that more opportunities will open up to you. And as Velma said also, there are many employers looking for holiday help right now. It's a great way to get your foot in the door, establish yourself, and then hopefully be kept on after the holidays are done. At the very least, you'll have some recent work experience and a good reference to boost you on to the next job.

Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes. As someone who's had a rocky year of job change and jobs that didn't pan out, culminating in getting a job for a company that I really, REALLY wanted to work for only to be laid off after 2 weeks of work due to their kitchen being closed for salmonella and subsequent loss of clients (now delivering for Amazon to keep the bills paid, miserable wretched long hours in unsafe vehicles, can't say enough bad about it), I'd love to hear the experiences of a fellow traveler!

Again, best of luck.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you! Best of luck at your interviews!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

...and the drama continues...
Yesterday, we found out unexpectedly that we lost about 600 dollars a month in income. AH comes home drunk declaring all kinds of stuff like he was going to shave his head to save on the cost of shampoo and hair gel (what is that like 3 bucks a month), he is going to get a second job (he barely makes it through the first one) and he is going to give up booze and weed because "my kids need to eat". I asked him if it was that easy to give it up, why hasn't he done it for his rapidly failing health. He told me that his health was not important but his kids having food was. LOL....ok....I expect that he will come home drunk today and say that he will start his plan on Monday. Of course Monday is a holiday and so it will become Tuesday....I do not know if his body will hold up to 4 more days of binge drinking. He is really in a very bad place at the moment.
As for me? I suggested I get a job which he quickly poopooed. I have worked about 14 MONTHS of the 24 years we have been married and he will just "not have it". Today, I spent the day filling out applications. This afternoon, I have 3 interviews set up for next week. I will be fully employed by next Friday. That is my goal!!!

I finally got the nerve to post a little about my daughter on another board and it felt pretty good to get some of that out. I cannot deal with all of this at once so just me and one day at a time right now....
I've heard target is hiring at 13.00 for the holidays...like an in store shopper for customers who pick their orders up. a "seasonal fulfillment expert"
Old 11-11-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! You go, girl! Practice with interview questions. Google them so that you will be prepared. Keep us posted. I can't wait to hear all about them.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Update!

That first interview was a knock out!!! She offered me the job on the spot and even a side job doing the books for her business! I told her that I really wanted to think about it and she said no problem! I have another interview this afternoon and one in the morning as well. I am pretty much set on taking the first job but I just want to see what happens. Literally, this is the job I have wanted since I was a kid.........like a dream come true.
Today has come with some other problems solved and I feel like I am hurling myself forward out of the depths! I called the dreaded IRS and cried "abused wife" and they helped me out a ton to find someone to figure out the taxes that he never filed. (We "have a tax guy" but apparently that was a lie).

Thank you all for your encouragement and support! I wouldn't have the tools to do this without you! Here's to new chapters!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is good

Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you I did a big old chair dance and scared the dogs yelling “yesssssss!”

Go run the world, girl!!!

Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[img]webkit-fake-url://654beb49-a53b-4aa4-a51c-cde6c720c374/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 11-13-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^^^^^^Well that’s not what I meant to do ^^^^^^
CONGRATULATIONS!!This is awesome news! Be proud of yourself!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! That is so great! What accomplishments you are making. Congratulations on the job, no matter which one you choose and on calling the IRS - another big step!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oddsunflower I am so impressed. Send some of that mojo my way!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's great! You're on your way to becoming an independent member of the workforce!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oddsunflower,

Way to knock the interview out of the park. Why I know you said you are going to take this job, good for you to interview for the other two. The practice interviewing never hurts. Plus if something happens with the first job interview you haven't looked bad by blowing off the other two, You should be proud of yourself. I am also impress that you had the courage to call the IRS. I know that could not of been an easy call to make. All in all you not to shabby of a day.