Would you guys mind sharing about narscisim?

Old 02-07-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I found this thread from October of last year.

celebration 123: Hoping you are experiencing peace and calm at this time. Others had shared great info in their posts.

I've copied some of the links suggested in posts in this thread where I will get back to and check out when I have free time.

I have not moved on from my toxic relationship to this point; I've had health issues, have been hospitalized, etc., in recent months, where my goals had to be put on the back burner for awhile.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is good

Originally Posted by Anaya View Post
I found this thread from October of last year.

celebration 123: Hoping you are experiencing peace and calm at this time. Others had shared great info in their posts.

I've copied some of the links suggested in posts in this thread where I will get back to and check out when I have free time.

I have not moved on from my toxic relationship to this point; I've had health issues, have been hospitalized, etc., in recent months, where my goals had to be put on the back burner for awhile.
The opioid crisis that has gripped the United States has resulted in unprecedented tragedy. In 2017, there were 47,600 deaths attributed to opioid related overdoses. Not only does that number account for over two-thirds of the total number of drug overdose deaths (67.8 percent), it is also a 12% increase on the previous year.
What's missing from news headlines and statistics are the extreme deaths of friends and family members from stress and other issues arising from being in toxic relationships.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Very true. AA's founder Bill Wilson describes alcoholics as being self-centered in the extreme, with enormous self will and also, very selfish. With recovery/therapy those characteristics change over time. The difference: narcissists never change.
So how do you know? That's where I'm stuck--- we have an ongoing argument of round and round circles-- and since it can take a while for the brain to recover from alcohol, how do you know if that's a permanent change or not? I try to impart that both of our actions in the relationship have been based on frustration and fear (me) and frustration and anger (him). His anger and addiction caused me not to want to move away from my childhood home where I was "safe" by my parents and my fear of moving made his frustration let alcohol take over in addiction. Then he says I was never committed to starting a life with him. I never seem to be able to shake that basis for him-- he's doing things out of frustration and stress but me and my family are just flawed.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There are narcs who drink, doesn't make them actual alcoholic though.

A real alcoholic is slowly drinking himself to death. No sense of self preservation, no self love.

A narc is basically in love with himself.

Two different things, a few common traits.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You are right, two entirely different things NPD is a personality disorder and alcoholism is an addiction. Everyone has some narcissism, it's on a spectrum, there is healthy narcissism and unhealthy narcissism.

Narcissists are not in love with themselves, that's just a misconception.

Many alcoholics are probably pretty high up on that narcissism spectrum, but may not have NPD.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
I have an A Sister who is also a Malignant Narcissist. I finally had to cut her out of my life, totally, once and for all. Not sure what your questions are. But if you have specific questions, please ask (or you can always privately IM me if you prefer).
Through much reading on so-called "toxic" behavior from people, who we encounter in our lives daily, I truly do understand that moving on and going no contact with some people is the best choice. I imagine it might have been difficult, and I hope at this point in time, you are doing well.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anaya View Post
Through much reading on so-called "toxic" behavior from people, who we encounter in our lives daily, I truly do understand that moving on and going no contact with some people is the best choice. I imagine it might have been difficult, and I hope at this point in time, you are doing well.
Thank you I am doing well for the most part. Lots of guilt at first mostly from not being able to have a relationship with my nephew bc of her toxicity and me cutting her off. But she can no longer berate and belittle me to get her “supply” to feel superior and I am at peace and am more mentally healthy because of my decision to go no contact.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I suspect my exAH has NPD or BPD/something although his alcohol abuse/alcoholism distracted me for many years - it was just always so confusing and difficult being in that situation. Hes only really addicted to himself. He “doesn’t drink anymore” (like he used to) but all the problems, terminal uniqueness/mindset and entitlement is still there.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that it is often very difficult to differentiate between an alcoholic and a narcissist as they display many similar behaviors.
So you could have a narcissistic alcoholic or an alcoholic narcissist. Not the same thing but does it really matter if they display similar behaviors, it causes you the same damage.