What do you make of this?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One of the biggest hurdles to recovery is resentment. The newly sober are very angry people and it can take years to work through the hurts and grudges. The 4th and 5th Steps are a big help.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'd mention some of this to his Dr. because it does seem a bit unusual...the outbursts of anger at his age might be something else happening, mentally.
And drinking on anti-depressants can cause more problems than they help.

Can you talk to anyone from AA who has known him for awhile to maybe get their advice? I wonder if he's blowing up at people outside of the house more than you realize.
I'm really sorry for what you are dealing with. Spa weekend sounds like a great idea.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's amazing to me that people can be sober for 30 years and then fall right back into this behavior. And point their finger at someone else as the cause of it.

I've known one alcoholic who was the model of 12-stepping in his twenties, and he attended a Christian university, had it together. In his 40's, he had been in jail, drank vodka daily, and now in his 60's still drinks and drugs. He knew so much about the 12 steps, and was genuinely an intelligent and uplifting soul (all while drinking), but he had resigned himself to drinking and chosen not to live by the 12 steps. I do know his father was abusive to him as a child. From what I hear, this person is at the end stage of liver failure.

Anyway, your AH making this about you is such hogwash. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope he will go get some help.