Small Steps Towards Getting Back to ME

Old 08-30-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small Steps Towards Getting Back to ME

Posting this as kind of a self-accountability thing. Lately I've been feeling very negatively about myself because I've put on weight. I hate exercising (especially when its 90+ degrees outside with 100% humidity!) , but I do love the way it makes me feel. After yet another AH backslide, I found myself thinking "is this all my life has turned into?"

I read about alcoholism, I pray about alcoholism, I listen to podcasts on alcohol, I worry about alcohol, etc. etc. etc. It's like it's become my LIFE.

So today I just upped and went for a walk. No music to listen to (darn ipod was drained)....just me and my thoughts. Surprisingly, I didn't think that much. I just enjoyed the lake, the dragonflies, and the (small) breeze. I feel so much better than how I felt before the walk.

It's a small thing, but I'm going to keep it up. My goal is to lose 40 lbs. and feel better about me....physically and mentally.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unless you have been chowing down on ice cream, I don't know if you are aware that stress hormones (particularly cortisol) can greatly assist in weight gain : /

Getting out and walking is the ticket!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wasn't aware of that, trailmix! It's been a slow slide....went from a size 8 to a 10, to well....where I am now. I was thinking it was just me getting older (39) and my metabolism...but that paired with stress....well, that could very well explain it. (I don't even eat sweets!)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

I read about alcoholism, I pray about alcoholism, I listen to podcasts on alcohol, I worry about alcohol, etc. etc. etc.

It's vitally important and GOOD to be aware of these things. Put this in right size, look at it as: this awareness is good, and balance it frequently with life opening up to more, new, good, better.

Shifting focus from from "alcoholism" to Recovery could be helpful. It sounds like you did that today.

Have you been to an Al-Anon meeting lately?
Old 08-30-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No I haven't Mango, but my daughter just told me yesterday there is an AlAnon meeting at the same time she does Alateen, so I'm really looking foward to that!
Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you LPS, keep at it.. even on days where you want to talk yourself out of it.. even if its just 20mins. By the time I make it to the 20min mark I am always ready for more.

Walking really is one of the best things you can do for whole mind and body wellness. I've walked off about 25lbs since January 1st. I'm back within my appropriate BMI range and clothes size. (phew) I feel stronger and more grounded both physically and mentally. It definitely isn't as easy to lose weight as you age, all kinds of things play into the difficulty. Stupid hormones. If I can get up early enough to beat the sun, or on days it isn't in the 90s, I am walking a minimum of six miles and it feels GREAT. It doesn't just burn off fat, it burns off all those yucky stress hormones too. I got myself a camelback backpack which I half fill with ice cubes, the rest with water and I'm good to go for a couple hours...alone in my headspace with my earbuds in...music or podcast..depends on my mood. I do get a better work out with music.

It's hard NOT To focus on alcohol and alcoholics when it is in your face on a daily basis, so dong something healthy for yourself is really important. Every little bit of strength you gain from your walking will help you going forward. Don't forget to stretch!
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being outdoors and reconnecting is a great way to destress. I'm glad this brought you some needed peace.