core issues

Old 07-05-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

core issues

Six Painful Core Issues for Adult Children of Narcissists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgfehV-s8XQ

I watched this today and thought it would be helpful for all the
ACOAs out there. I am not an ACOA, but managing narcissism was part of my childhood and I found this video helpful.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Spot on, thank you for sharing! I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do on myself to undo these patterns and beliefs I acquired in childhood... I've been aware of them for 20+ years now and have worked hard to overcome them. While I steadily make progress, it seems so slow and like such a small amount. I don't know if it will ever be possible for me to be truly happy and healthy. But at the same time, I continue to have a tiny glimmer of hope that I can break free of my programming someday. Wouldn't that be something!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you. I like how he relates this to adult children of both alcoholics and narcissists. At my first ACoA meeting I discovered why I was there when I heard "alcoholics and other dysfunctional families". My FOO is one of those "other dysfunctional families" and has extreme narcissistic behaviors.

From the video:

Help people achieve a sense of inner freedom, new life, new direction and detachment from that old abuse and trauma and to find their real selves.

The 6 core issues Jerry Wise talks about that come from growing up with or having other relationships with these dysfunctional people,

1. Self-power shedding. Giving our power away to other people.

2. Leaving the present. Flight, freezing, triangulating.

3. Feeling isolated, even in a crowd.

4. Unresolved intergenerational trauma -- having experienced family systems that transmit trauma and abuse throughout generations.

5. Feeling over responsible for everybody and all things.

6. Enmeshment

By living in the present moment and trusting the recovery process I'm having great changes in the way I respond and experience life.