Need Feedback

Old 11-25-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Feedback

I am watching both my daughter and my grandson lose the addiction battle. I have been clean and sober since 1998 and prior to that I had 13 years together. I used AA religiously and worked in a sober residential home for 10 parents with their families. And I know ****!
From her middle teens I have seen my daughter take off with this same disease and with the exception of 6 six years when her son was born, she has not had any recovery. She is 52 now and the damage to her physically and mentally is harsh. She has distanced herself from me for many years and only checks in periodically. She doesn't want me to see her condition(s).
Lately she has been reaching out. She is afraid because she is sick and cannot function and she is asking for me to help her get into treatment. She has serious mental health issues and medical issues to match. A couple of years back I noticed that her brain function has been diminished and lately she has realized this too. She has warrants and a hearing in January when she will probably get locked for multiple assault and battery charges. She is unable to figure out how to get anything fixed. She has needed surgery for years on her ankle and she falls because she has trouble walking. She has been scheduled for surgery several times but cannot get any clean time to be able to have the operation. She is bloated beyond recognition and I assume that she has a very sick liver. She is incontinent and afraid to go outside.
She has tried to get treatment but after detox there wasn't any options so she went back home. At home she has a husband who is also an addict that she has been with for many years, living with him in shelters and in tents in the snow. They literally beat the hell out of each other. He's with her now in spite of the fact that the police have threatened to lock her up if she lets him in (he gets her dope). They have, with the help of several non-profits and housing resources for homeless recently gotten a small apartment but she needs heroine and vodka to hold her even remotely together.
What are the words to tell the medical people that a detox is a great place to start but not nearly enough for her. How do I help her stay in the emergency room for 8, 10, 12, hours waiting without a "fix ". I don't believe that's possible for her. Who are they who know how to use the resources that will make some effect?

She has had several detox and 2 or 3 mental health admissions.
Well God knows this is a story that could go on forever and I'm sure you get the point. Any experience you have with this will be a help. Thank you
I have been very close to my grandson who is now 21 and in jail sentenced to six months. I suppose that's another story for another time.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

If I was in this situation, I would probably ask the alcoholic/addict's permission to give number to someone who can help. I've found, again and again, it's not healthy for me or the alcoholic/addict to be a part of making these arrangements.

Calling for help because I need it, because the situation is way beyond what I'm meant to deal with, has had very good results.

Prayer: God, help! Please guide my heart, my thoughts, my day.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

elem.....here are a few suggestions....The Salvation Army has very good programs….I would suggest that you go and directly talk to someone who is in charge of their local program....

For her medical issues....I would go to a private doctor who has admitting privileges at one of the local hospitals that has a detox unit....from the description of her medical condition, she would, likely qualify for a m edical admission, straight from the outside...thus avoiding the emergency room experience....

In the meantime, I would suggest that you look into a methadone maintenece program...that would, at least, help her to avoid the dangers of street heroine, and keep her out of withdrawl until an admission and treatment plan can be set up, somewhere....
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

elem.....the following website might be a good place for you to begin your search.....I suggest that you start making calls...and ask for social workers who have experience in addiction/co-occurring disorders.....
Just keep turning over rocks until you find help....
I hope that you are tenacious...because tenacity is your friend...lol...
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
elem.....the following website might be a good place for you to begin your search.....I suggest that you start making calls...and ask for social workers who have experience in addiction/co-occurring disorders.....
Just keep turning over rocks until you find help....
I hope that you are tenacious...because tenacity is your friend...lol...
https://namimass.org/resources/menta...ealth-services