Does anyone get this? Anger and frustration.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone get this? Anger and frustration.

So updating... but feeling soooo frustrated. Wow. My SO has all the symptoms of a “dry drunk” even though I hate labels. It’s so frustrating. No serious job hunting, little respect for boundaries (meaning they keep being irritatingly nudged), no humor, no interest in getting out to groups, forming new connections and certainly no nice hello or goodbye greetings. No smiles.

Plus. I’m apparently offering no moral support! The helping save a life and the 100 percent financial support, the long list of contactable people, the courtesy, politeness, the keeping things upbeat, the pressure-free environment is not enough. Apparently I’m insensitive, I have no idea how hard it is to deal with sobriety,I should ask about how they’re going more, I should be more understanding since I’ve done all my alcoholism homework (detecting a little or a lot of sarcasm there). Apparently I’m also even hoping for a relapse! After all I’ve done I get this. And the yelling continues. Either no talk (because to discuss anything involves talking about difficult issues that “can’t be discussed right now”) or yelling. More “Are you done?” More walking away from problems. More passive aggressive behavior. More denial. More manipulative maneuvering.
Oh, my friends I knew it would be difficult but I didn’t realize how frustrated I’d feel. Anyone else feeling the sting of the recovering angry partner? It’s bad enough that I am looking at leaving the country next year. Can only more so fast with work etc. So breathtakingly frustrated! Ok breathe in, now out. Thanks for letting me vent my friends! X
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Yes. I've experienced those things before when my husband wasn't drinking and wasn't in recovery. Another phase of the disease of alcoholism.

It's okay to leave now or ask the alcoholic to. We don't have to wait for alcohol to be in the mix to make significant changes.

It took me time to learn how to do that. The actions of walking away, getting help for myself and calling law enforcement for help were what strengthens me to do the next good/healthy action easier.

Emotional abuse is abuse.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hugs for you!

I no longer feel that way... but I used to. All the damn time. It was exhausting.

Drinking or white-knuckling sobriety, my AXH was always a Jekyll/Hyde ( plus a dozen other unpredictable) personalities. I drove myself nuts worrying which one I'd have to deal with at any given moment, just when I thought I had his reactions to a given situation figured out i'd get blindsided by a different one. Ugggggg... it was awful.

It sounds like your spouse is not actively drinking but not actually in recovery. I know some people around here don't like the term "dry drunk" but that sounds exactly like what you are dealing with. I know how bad that sucks, I was in your shoes way too many times.

I hope you are doing kind things for yourself and not falling victim to his shenanigans.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
Hugs for you!

I no longer feel that way... but I used to. All the damn time. It was exhausting.

Drinking or white-knuckling sobriety, my AXH was always a Jekyll/Hyde ( plus a dozen other unpredictable) personalities. I drove myself nuts worrying which one I'd have to deal with at any given moment, just when I thought I had his reactions to a given situation figured out i'd get blindsided by a different one. Ugggggg... it was awful.

It sounds like your spouse is not actively drinking but not actually in recovery. I know some people around here don't like the term "dry drunk" but that sounds exactly like what you are dealing with. I know how bad that sucks, I was in your shoes way too many times.

I hope you are doing kind things for yourself and not falling victim to his shenanigans.
Thank you. I’m recognizing more of what’s going on now. My own life and timeline is on track but yes I know it is fragoand I can be blindsided at any minute. So I am being careful and taking good care of myself. Also being careful who I vent to! So grateful for SR! X
Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you are so insensitive lol

And sorry for that bad joke but honestly, please read and re-read your post, it says it all about your situation.

For what it's worth, I would give up trying, all you can do is carry on with your life (I am not saying run out the door or any other advice like that, of course).

Your efforts are wasted. It does not matter what you do it will be "wrong", but I know you already know that. Just no use exhausting yourself with doing all that. That's where the anger and frustration come from and for what? For absolutely nothing, doesn't help him and most certainly is not helping you.

You are jumping through hoops for him, to try to calm and soothe him. It's not working and hoop jumping is very tiring.

Add to that you get nothing in return and I don't mean flowers, emotionally what are you getting besides abusive comments? Aside from being put down?

You will wear yourself right out. You must keep yourself strong, it's an absolute necessity. If not, a year from now you will be exhausted, sitting there and writing, where do I go from here, what do I do, you won't have the self-esteem or in fact the energy to move forward with you life and you will feel stuck.

I'm really just saying take care of yourself.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vent away. Only you can decide how long you will put up with it.

Big hugs.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Label or not, your SO sounds very much like a dry drunk. They may be abstaining from alcohol but are still dealing with the emotional and psychological issues that fueled their addiction in the first place.

Once something like alcohol becomes a fiber and substantial part of their daily being and is taken away, and that void is not filled with healthier coping skills like from a 12 step recovery program or specific addiction intense counseling yes you are left with an unhappy angry dry drunk who most likely will relapse in order to get out of that uncomfortable pain.

Your frustration may be the result of having an expectation that once the alcohol was removed things and life would get better. That’s not the case when no outside assistance is sought by them.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When an alcoholic stops drinking we expect things to get much better but it rarely does, at least not without a lot of hard work and a serious program of change. "If you take the alcohol away from a drunken horse thief you have a horse thief." The only important thing is what are you doing about it? Alanon taught me I can't change the alcoholic, only myself. A big hug.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with others- he is not in recovery and from your post,
his whole existence is geared toward making you miserable,
as though if he can't drink & be happy, you da_n well aren't
going to be happy either.

Take care of yourself, this is seriously emotionally draining stuff
and will do a lot of damage to you if allowed to go on too long.
Is there a timeline for his employment? Many people who
hold jobs are recovering from addiction and it is beneficial
for their recovery.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zukunft View Post
So updating... but feeling soooo frustrated. Wow. My SO has all the symptoms of a “dry drunk” even though I hate labels. It’s so frustrating. No serious job hunting, little respect for boundaries (meaning they keep being irritatingly nudged), no humor, no interest in getting out to groups, forming new connections and certainly no nice hello or goodbye greetings. No smiles.

Plus. I’m apparently offering no moral support! The helping save a life and the 100 percent financial support, the long list of contactable people, the courtesy, politeness, the keeping things upbeat, the pressure-free environment is not enough. Apparently I’m insensitive, I have no idea how hard it is to deal with sobriety,I should ask about how they’re going more, I should be more understanding since I’ve done all my alcoholism homework (detecting a little or a lot of sarcasm there). Apparently I’m also even hoping for a relapse! After all I’ve done I get this. And the yelling continues. Either no talk (because to discuss anything involves talking about difficult issues that “can’t be discussed right now”) or yelling. More “Are you done?” More walking away from problems. More passive aggressive behavior. More denial. More manipulative maneuvering.
Oh, my friends I knew it would be difficult but I didn’t realize how frustrated I’d feel. Anyone else feeling the sting of the recovering angry partner? It’s bad enough that I am looking at leaving the country next year. Can only more so fast with work etc. So breathtakingly frustrated! Ok breathe in, now out. Thanks for letting me vent my friends! X
Your SO is in the process of discovering (hopefully) the main navigational tools in life which are values and purpose.
Go do something fun together, something of high value to both of you that is healthy and not a quick fix or mood changer of drugs or booze.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
Your SO is in the process of discovering (hopefully) the main navigational tools in life which are values and purpose.
Go do something fun together, something of high value to both of you that is healthy and not a quick fix or mood changer of drugs or booze.
Wow. That is going to be hard to find. But a refreshing challenge compared to the current state of affairs. Thank you!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
I agree with others- he is not in recovery and from your post,
his whole existence is geared toward making you miserable,
as though if he can't drink & be happy, you da_n well aren't
going to be happy either.

Take care of yourself, this is seriously emotionally draining stuff
and will do a lot of damage to you if allowed to go on too long.
Is there a timeline for his employment? Many people who
hold jobs are recovering from addiction and it is beneficial
for their recovery.
Thank you for your candid response. Yep. Not easy. He has a deadline to find a job and a place to live. I know it’s difficult to find work but anything would do for starters. I’m keeping cool and holding him to the deadline. No turning back now! X
Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
When an alcoholic stops drinking we expect things to get much better but it rarely does, at least not without a lot of hard work and a serious program of change. "If you take the alcohol away from a drunken horse thief you have a horse thief." The only important thing is what are you doing about it? Alanon taught me I can't change the alcoholic, only myself. A big hug.
Yes. It’s all seeming this way. Thank you for your support. Hugs back.