Husband gone into rehab and I'm missing him terribly.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband gone into rehab and I'm missing him terribly.

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I'm fairly new to the site so I hope I'm doing this right.
My husband has been an alcoholic for the past 10 years, but over the last 6 months it has become unmanageable. Yesterday (Monday) he went into a 28 day rehab programme, during which I won't have any contact with him for approximately ten days, then he may be allowed to call me . I am so relieved and pleased that he's made the right decision to detox and get sober, but I feel as though my heart is completely breaking whilst I go about my normal day to day life without him. It's like my head knows he's doing the right thing for all of us, but my heart just wants him here with me. I didn't think I'd feel like this as over the past 2 months his alcolism has really affected our marriage and even got to the point where I considered walking away because I couldn't cope with him, but now I feel so strange and heartbroken without him here. I almost feel like I wish I could forget about him for the time being but right now I cant; I just miss him terribly.
I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this and if they felt similar to me, what steps they found helped?
Thank you so much in advance.
H.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello hed, Welcome to SR!

I am so sorry for what brings you to this place, but you are among people who understand

I'm so happy to hear that your husband has taken action to get help!! That's great news. If you have been reading these boards for a while, you will know that this is just the first step on a life-long journey of sobriety.

Along with your husband, you deserve support, too! It's great that you are reaching out! SR is a great place for information, support, and shared experience. Please come here to read, ask questions, or vent any time you need

Others will be along soon....Take good care of yourself!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Are you going to any meeting for support?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Are you going to any meeting for support?
Thank you for replying , I went to Al Anon last night and found it very insightful and helpful.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hello hed, Welcome to SR!

I am so sorry for what brings you to this place, but you are among people who understand

I'm so happy to hear that your husband has taken action to get help!! That's great news. If you have been reading these boards for a while, you will know that this is just the first step on a life-long journey of sobriety.

Along with your husband, you deserve support, too! It's great that you are reaching out! SR is a great place for information, support, and shared experience. Please come here to read, ask questions, or vent any time you need

Others will be along soon....Take good care of yourself!
Thank you so much
Old 07-24-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

hed30.....I think this feeling is normal, considering that he has only been gone for a few hours...…
LOL...I can think of times when my husband and I would be gone from the house for a few days...(2 or 3)….and, we would be having a great time...but, at night...in a beautiful hotel room, we would both look at each other and admit that we were missing our "babies"....Our "babies" consisted of 2 dogs a
nd several cats…..
You will adjust to the feeling as the days pass....
Keep your self busy, is the best thing....
Use some of this time to study and prepare yourself...
I am giving you the following link to our extensive library of excellent articles on alcoholism and the effects on the loved ones....(also known as the stickies...at the top of the threads)….There are more than 100 of them...enough for you to read and digest one every single day....lol...

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)
Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I would take this time to educate yourself about the changes that are about to come. Do some 'house cleaning' and stay positive.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would use this time to work on your own recovery with attending daily alanon meetings, perhaps also to see a therapist.