Things that I do not miss...

Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that I do not miss...

After 10 years being together almost 6 being married. (I filed for divorce a few months ago). Here are the things I do not miss:

Having to do everything around the house such as cleaning, finished his projects he started but never finished
Making sure he didn't hit his head or fall over after drinking all day
Being the mediator between him and his 2 daughters when he was drinking
When he did make it to bed half his body in dead weight propped on top of me
Breath smelling like liquor
Not understanding him when he is so drunk
Hearing him opening a can of beer
Buying all the necessities for the home
Angry outbursts
Coming home on a Friday after work, anxious, not knowing how drunk he would be
Wanting to spend every weekend sitting around drinking
Entertaining on my own at the end of the night when we had people over because he always ended up passed out even when they were his friends and family
Name calling
Selfishness
Having online relationships with other girls
Spending all his money on an online game
When we did go on vacation is was to Vegas and I never had fun, had to babysit him since he was so inebriated from the time we got there to the time we left

Things I miss:
He did like to cook and made some great dishes

The only thing I regret is why the heck did I marry him, I saw the red flags but really didn't know much about alcoholism. His morning drink is Monster with Vodka and always just thought is was just Monster, never thought someone would be drinking in the morning. Always thought alcoholics were the disheveled, unemployed people...boy was I wrong! I pretty much resented him most of my time with him but the one thing I will say is that I never thought I could leave. I make good money and can provide for myself, it was not about that, it was about failing in my marriage. I feel like a failure but what he is doing is not something I can fix or want to be a part of any longer.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel like a failure but what he is doing is not something I can fix or want to be a part of any longer.
You're not a failure at all! It was never something you could fix. You're a success for taking control of your life and not putting up with unacceptable behavior - all the things you listed.

I think everyone in this forum can relate to seeing red flags and either not understanding them or ignoring them for love, hope, the "good times", whatever. We're human.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG look at that list!!
You are a winner! A success!!

Peace,
B.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. I didn’t realize it until I read what you wrote but I am also afraid of having to admit our marriage is a failure.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

@quietlytired...it took me 6 long years. We did not have any children together so I wondered why I stayed. Maybe I was hopeful it would get better. Our bodies can only take so much but he never slowed down. I have been thinking about divorcing for years but never went through with it and finally decided that I am getting older and this is not getting better. I was alone in the marriage so what difference would it make and the best part of it is that I no longer have to put up with his crap, I can live in peace.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely not a failure. It takes a lot of courage to finally face the addiction for what it is and take control of your life.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you for doing what you had to do.

What a miserable list. You should be proud that you took your life back. Congrats.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Michsm…...good for you. If there is anything worse than spending your m idle years living with a practicing alcoholic...is spending your latter years being the caregiver for a broken down alcoholic......
Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thanks for sharing this. I can relate. I also have a list of things I don't miss.