Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I feel even more depressed hanging with my platonic guy friend after the break up

I feel even more depressed hanging with my platonic guy friend after the break up

Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How smart you are to identify what's troubling you!

Many year ago, I was a young woman with low self esteem. No reason, just maybe, a lack of ambition to look at my life, which was actually okay. I looked around, and it seemed like all my friends were paired up. There were a few who were still single: that really nice, smart woman who was overweight, that odd, quiet one with no hobbies, and i n the back of my mind, the condemnation of an older, backwards co--irker who had said If I wasn't able to catch a man (she actually used that phrase) there "must be something wrong" with me.

I met AH. He was brilliant, he was funny. He thought I was brilliant and funny. We married six months after we met and I knew at the time he drank too much. It made me uneasy but I was certain he'd outgrow it. After all, he'd met me! Why would he still need to drink to excess?

Because he's an alcoholic,and that's what alcoholics do. There are worse things than being single. Being morally and legally bound to someone who's an addict is soul-crushing. Being too proud to admit such a mistake is stupid . You have your whole life ahead of you, and you've dodged a bullet. It may just take a while before you feel lucky.