Friend has the shakes, does it mean relapse?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend has the shakes, does it mean relapse?

He has been into rehab and the shakes stopped for a couple of weeks after he came out. I noticed they’re back a couple of days ago. Is he drinking again? Or is his body just so battered by years of drinking?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say the reason. May be back on the booze, may be permanent neurological damage if they were a long term abuser, possibly another heath reason.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kinko View Post
He has been into rehab and the shakes stopped for a couple of weeks after he came out. I noticed they’re back a couple of days ago. Is he drinking again? Or is his body just so battered by years of drinking?
Hi and welcome. Yes, as mentioned above, there is absolutely no way for you to know.

You may be jumping to conclusions or you may be right on track.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Kinko - many of us shook for a few weeks or even months after quitting. It can come and go, be worse in the morning etc...permanent shaking like Forwards suggested is rare.

Shaking by itself tho is not necessarily an indication of drinking.

D
Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From the Al-Anon website:

"Al-Anon members are people, just like you, who are worried about someone with a drinking problem."

https://al-anon.org/

There are meetings in many cities and towns. There's a listing for US and worldwide on the web site.

Try a few meetings and then a few more... look for things that connect with you. Alcoholism wants us to feel separate and isolated. Alanon brings healing.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Kinko, if he is drinking again you'll eventually pick it up by other signs. Try and let go for now. All will be revealed over time.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Confirmed

He eventually lost his job. The only thing he had left. He’d already lost his wife and children. And he still doesn’t think he has a problem. A couple of seizures later, he’s convinced he’s got epilepsy even though the drs say he doesn’t. I’ve never seen denial like this before. I can’t watch him kill himself. It’s like the only rock bottom for him is death! He’s got nothing else to lose. At what point does an addict realise they have a problem???
Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately some of us never realise, or never admit it to ourselves, Kinko.
People die from this stuff.

I had a moment of clarity and stopped - I hope your friend will have the same.

D
Old 05-28-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Kinko View Post
At what point does an addict realise they have a problem???
I'm sure he knows it now. But knowing and doing something about it is a different matter. Losing the family just gives you a reason to drink more, and it never sticks unless you do it for your own deeply felt reasons.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven’t dealt with my loved one relapsing yet but I imagine it is pretty horrible for everyone. I am finding it is important to remember that it is not your rock bottom, it’s theirs. You may be a witness to or even an unfortunate casualty of it but only one person own her/his way of getting through the difficult times. I find this attitude leads to greater honesty which leads to greater compassion.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

More will be revealed.

I have had the shakes for the entire weekend from using tree snippers on Friday. It's happened before, they will go away soon.

Point being, you never know, but future behavior will tell if there is relapse or not.