Symptom or Not? Help?

Old 10-27-2004, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Symptom or Not? Help?

I posted this question for one of the experts on this website. Guy also suggested I post on this forum.

My 30 year old son, who admitted he has a drinking problem but has since regretted mentioning it, wets the bed. I know of at least 6 instances in the past 3 years. He only does this when he is drinking. He also told me--another thing he regrets telling me--that he cannot drink only one drink.

I've been to Al-Anon and am working the program. I'm trying to distance myself from the problem with love.

Here are two questions:

1. Has the person you believe to be an alcoholic ever wet the bed?

2. When my son comes to visit in my home, I don't want him to drink in front of me. Is this unreasonable? My husband does not agree with me at this moment. I feel that allowing him to drink is contributing to his death with this disease.

Thanks for your input!!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI MegaMaren....I'm sorry for your situation. I don't know about the wetting the bed situation, but I do not think it's unreasonable at all for you to not allow your son to drink when he is visiting? Does the mother or a crack addict let them smoke crack in her house? If him not drinking at your home is one of your 'boundaries', then I'd stick to it, and not worry about what anyone else thinks... your boundaries are set for your sanity, not to punish - but, for you to keep your peaceful state of mind. That's entirely up to you. Hang in there!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mm - my ah has wet the bed. i think when they pass out they are so relaxed and out of it that they soimetimes just "let loose". not all the time but occasionally.

as to your other question, it's your home and if it makes you uncomfortable, i would tell him so.

not an expert but that's my input for you.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gracey

I will never forget when my AH wet the bed.....he came home so drunk one night and he crawled into my son's bed....my son was gone.....

When my son came home from his friends he came to me and asked me who pee'd in his bed.......I said I dont know honey maybe something just spilled......what was I going to say.....I of course had everything off of the bed and I was letting his mattress air out....scrubbed it with soap and water and sprayed tons of lysol.....

I am very thankful this was only the second accident in 10 years.....

Old 10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wetting to bed seems to be a common thing with some people that drink.
As for your allowing your son to drink in your home - I consider this a boundary. It is your home; therefore I think it's perfectly fine to not allow alcohol in your home.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1. Has the person you believe to be an alcoholic ever wet the bed?
A ton....my mom actually got smashed and pissed herself on my couch in the middle of the day three times in one week. Not to mention all the times she did it in her truck or at her own house....

2. When my son comes to visit in my home, I don't want him to drink in front of me. Is this unreasonable? My husband does not agree with me at this moment. I feel that allowing him to drink is contributing to his death with this disease.
Absolutley not unreasonable. I don't even allow my mom at my house anymore. Don't get me wrong I still see her but it is either for lunch or at her house not mine. But I do think that your husband and you need to come to an agreement on what the boundary is.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies to my question and the advice. I appreciate that individuals are willing to share. When dealing with the disease of addiction, it helps to talk with others who have walked in our shoes. This is a wonderful forum to help us help ourselves.