It Works

Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It Works

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my little success story - with just one of my family qualifiers - my sister. I first posted about her 2015. She is severely depressed and an alcoholic.

Well, she becomes really angry when drinking, and became very resentful about a strong boundary I had set with her. A few months ago she said she did not want to talk or text/with me. OK - I respected her request. It was hard for me, because she lives alone and has suicidal ideations often. But I let her go.

By the way, she has texted me a couple of times over the past few months. And I responded.

With the help of Alanon (I was a member many years ago and a few months ago found a small supportive local group) and I attend as often as my health allows

AND of course, Sober Recovery. ((Hugs)). I read here often.

I have been able to detach and find peace about my sister and with my own life. (It's truly a work in progress for me.)

The Success: This weekend I went to a birthday celebration for her. Her DIL, who has recently moved back to the area, invited me.

I went; she was civil to me (and me, of course, to her).

She had her few drinks at their place.
Did I care? Nope.

Was I glad to see her? Yep! And I told her so.

She actually looked great!
I was so relieved to see her looking healthy.

She was quiet and reserved when speaking to me.
But that is how she is.

And HEY - What??? How About That? She is getting along fine without me!!

LOL !!! Humble pie anyone? (Moi)

Do I miss my sis - the one I grew up with? With whom at one time we had great times and conversations with? Before that depression and booze took over? Of course.

But I can't do anything to change the situation except to accept it and change the way I view it and deal with it.

I almost didn't go because of the unpredictable behavior of my AS. But I have my program and my unconditional, yet detachment- fortified love for my sister.

I am glad I went.

Aww - this feeling of peace and serenity is absolutely Priceless! Thanks SR and Alanon.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, AS.
Glad things are steady state.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And HEY - What??? How About That? She is getting along fine without me!!
LOL. I had to learn a new mantra: "Don't offer unsolicited advice!" It was amazing that people survived without me trying to tell them what to do. Another lesson: "It's none of my business." I was amazed to realize that nothing anyone does is any of my business. The byproduct of these hard lesson: peace of mind.

Thanks for posting.