Too scared to go to alanon

Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. You do not have to share, just saying your name and that you will pass, is perfectly acceptable.
Yes, bring tissues - or they will most likely have them there... it is very emotional the first couple of times (at least it was for me) just feeling the love and support from people that actually HAVE walked in your life (or their version of it) and are complete strangers. If you find you are uncomfortable at the first one you try then find a different one. My first one was good and I went a couple of times but then found out that my husband’s AA sponsors fiancé was going to the same meeting and I was not comfortable with that. So I found a different meeting and discovered again that my higher power works in mysterious ways because this meeting is SO much better for me.
Give it a try, the only thing about my “standard” meeting is that it is at 8 am on Saturday mornings! Ugh! I tell myself every Saturday that I’m going to sleep in and not go but then find myself getting up, showing and going every Saturday because I don’t want to miss that uplifting feeling that I get from each and every meeting.
If you are still feeling hesitant and want more information on al anon itself get yourself a copy of “how al anon works for families and friends of alcoholics” you can order on Amazon’s or I bought my copy at the new meeting I started attending.
I was terrified and it took a lot for me to start going and now I don’t know how I ever got by without it.
Take care of you, peace and hugs!