Drunk ex sends kid texts about how awful I am

Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I was thinking about your DD last night Sasha & wondered - does she participate in any activities or clubs outside of school & family?

For DD, having something that was ALL HERS was incredibly helpful for her. It gave her a safe place for her to explore parts of her personality as an individual & not have constant reminders about the stress in other areas of her life. Just a thought for you in case it might help!
HI FireSprite,

It's a really important point. Kid has an athletic activity that she is really passionate about (and good at) and spends 8 hrs/wk on, which is "her thing". She's also hooked into church youth group. She is definitely feeling the stress - I asked her this morning before school if she had brushed her hair and I got "Fine! I'll brush my stupid hair! Why do you have to be so picky? And I never want to talk about my father again so don't try!".
Old 05-17-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Yes, what FireSprite said!

I have been thinking about this a lot as well, as it relates to my own child of this age. It's so important for them to have things outside the family to bring them joy and to put the focus on. My child's is artistic, and her counselor has really had her focus on her art a lot, even doing some neat self esteem building projects with her. She also has lots of friends and they do activities, does a sport here and there, just stuff.

This stuff almost always happens on my weekends, and I arrange a lot of it, and I am fine with that because they absolutely need these things to focus on.

Hugs.