Today's Gift Daily Reader

Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

January 16, 2017

What secrets can I share today?

—Marion Weinstein

A girl named Iris was tormented by the boys at school. Whenever she walked by they would make rude noises. Sometimes, when no one was looking, they would block her way and not let her go home. She was too inexperienced at taking care of herself to realize that believing she couldn't do anything made it true. Feeling helpless kept her from thinking about what she might do.

One day she got so scared that she told her best friend what was happening. Together they began to think of all sorts of things she could do. Knowing she could do something took away the helpless feeling, and the boys noticed and stopped teasing her. It wasn't fun for them anymore.

We often feel helpless in situations that seem too much for us to handle. In fact, help is always available--through friends and family, and through God, who helps us see how we can help ourselves. All we have to do is stop being distracted by that helpless feeling and ask for what we need.

Can I see the many solutions to my problems today?

This reading is from Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation, posted on the "Thought for the Day" page at the Hazelden/Betty Ford Foundation web site. Additional daily readings can be found here: Thought for the Day | Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

January 16, 2017

When you do something you are proud of, dwell on it a little, praise yourself for it.

—Mildred Newman

Each one of us is very good at something. Maybe it's baseball or tennis where we display talent. Maybe we're good in math or at giving reports. A few people are talented at being good listeners or helpful friends.

To recognize our own talents we may need help from others. It's always so much easier to see our faults, or the ways we don't meet our own expectations. But the fact is we are all skilled in many areas of our lives. To accept praise--better yet, to quietly give it to ourselves--is a sign of healthy growth.

What things have I done well lately?

This reading is from Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation, posted on the "Thought for the Day" page at the Hazelden/Betty Ford Foundation web site. Additional daily readings can be found here: Thought for the Day | Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Love the thread! Thanks honeypig.
Superman made me smile
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

January 17, 2017

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

—Alexis Carrel

A sculptor begins with an unformed piece of marble. He must be able to envision what he wants to create. Then, armed with tools and courage, he begins to chip away at the marble he does not need. Every day he examines how it looks and what he wants it to become.

Every one of us who is trying to be a better person is like the sculptor. We envision who we want to be and what kind of qualities we believe in. Some of these qualities might be kindness, good self-esteem, the ability to love and feel loved. If we are honest, we must also look with the artist's eye at our faults. We might see some jealousy and resentment or feelings of superiority. Our faults, human as they are, are like unwanted marble that keeps our most loving selves from taking shape. Carving away at our faults is hard work, and sometimes even hurts. Yet we do not do this work alone--we can only do it with the help of our God.

What can I chisel away today?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

January 18, 2017

The stream that was locked up for the winter now ripples and gurgles along its way.

—John F. Gardner

Winter presents us with a frozen world, silent, sometimes forbidding. It seems like such a harsh time, forcing us indoors, letting us out only when we're wrapped in extra woolens, extra boots, extra hats and mittens. But beneath the snow's blanket, the earth is resting. Just as we sleep at night, the earth naps, nurturing its roots and bulbs, replenishing its moisture and minerals, refreshing itself. Spring is the earth's first stirring; it opens one eye, then another, wiggles a toe, stretches, yawns. The earth rises, shaking leaves off, brushing twigs away. It sends new shoots up to welcome the day.

We, too, are part of nature, and as such we experience our own seasons. Sometimes we are happy, full of energy, always able to handle obstacles. When we are down, when things seem to be too much for us to handle, we must remember that it is natural and proper to feel that way, and that soon, without our even trying, a new season will lift our hearts.

When I feel low, what can I do best?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

January 19, 2017

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

—Chinese proverb

Even the strongest, most loving families always have room for growth. There is no such thing as a "perfect" family. If our family is far from perfect, that's okay. It only matters that we are working at getting better. Often, runners will say they can remember many days when they just did not feel like running; however, once they started, they felt more energy and were easily able to run the distance they had set for that day.

Whatever we need to do, we can do in small acts--a chore done without being asked, a helping hand with the dishes, a soft word, a surprise gift for no reason. These are small things, easily done. Love is made of small things; what is large is the love with which they are accomplished.

When we begin to work on our relationship with our family, we will feel the new energy, and quickly we will find ourselves making progress.

What is the first thing I can do today to improve my relationship with my family?

Last edited by Opivotal; 01-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dammit, I can't edit the "title", so I'm stuck w/the incorrect date on the post above--it's really for the 19th!!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

((Honeypig))

I fixed it for you.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, bless your heart, Opi, thanks so much!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I know I've said this before, but I just love that quote. I had it in huge vinyl letters applied to my family room wall the year we drove 1,000 miles away from XAH to a new job, new home, and new life. Terrifying and difficult...and freeing and incredible. That quote was our mantra.

I love that it was a post today!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

January 20, 2017

The power of a man's virtue should not be measured by his special efforts, but by his ordinary doing.

—Blaise Pascal

The airplane kit is on the table in front of us. We have the glue, the little wooden pieces, and the instructions. We work for hours putting together each piece, step by step. A dab of glue here, a clamp there, maybe some rubber bands to hold the bigger pieces together. We work slowly, allowing the glue to set overnight, even though we want to see it fly right now.

We follow each step in order, even though we think we know how to do it on our own. Patience is the most important asset we bring to this activity--the willingness to allow each step its own time and proper place.

After we've done all the careful work and waited till the glue is firm, we take it out for a trial flight. It soars! So do we, when we allow ourselves time to learn each step of the way.

What part of my future am I assembling today?

Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Well, bless your heart, Opi, thanks so much!
You're so very welcome, honeypig.

Thank you for posting daily and your valuable contribution to our members/SR.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

January 21, 2017

If you realize you aren't so wise today as you thought you were yesterday, you're wiser today.

—Olin Miller

Smug was a kitten who thought she knew everything. She knew how to clean herself with her sandpaper tongue, how to sleep, eat, and keep warm, and how to sharpen her tiny claws. One day, her mother wanted to teach Smug to climb trees. I don't need to learn this, thought Smug, I already know everything I need to know. Without much interest, Smug watched her mother climb a tall tree and come down again. When it was Smug's turn, she said, "I'll stay on the ground where it's safe." Just then, a large black dog came trotting around the corner.

Aren't we often like Smug, certain that we know all we need to know, or that we really don't need to know something another is trying to teach us? When we rid ourselves of the pride that keeps us from learning these things, we'll feel a little safer if any big black dogs come around the corner. And we will have grown smarter by recognizing our need to know more.

Am I smart enough to admit my need to learn more today?

(This pic was just too weird to resist, even though it doesn't match the details of today's post...)

Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

January 22, 2017

Animals are such agreeable friends; they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.

—George Eliot

A pet is often liked by everyone and seems to have no enemies. Why is this? Pets are friendly and interested in others. They seem to get joy out of just being with us. They do not have a critical attitude. When mistreated or neglected for a while, they are quick to forgive and quickly seek once again to be by our side.

Each of us is a valuable part of the family. When we treasure one another and don't waste our time finding each other's faults, we will begin to have fewer faults. When we accept our loved ones as they are and enjoy sharing our lives with them, our lives become more enjoyable, and our family love grows because we are each more lovable.

What can I accept in others today?

Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

January 23, 2017

Little girl, little girl, where have you been?

—Mother Goose

She's been everywhere and nowhere in and around the house. She's been in her room crying with her doll, on the grass kicking her ball, on the floor big-eyed and blank in front of the TV. Her things are everywhere in the way, as if left there to block the path. She learns to be happiest alone in her room. There she can gather roses to give to the Queen and receive in return a diamond as big as a shoe. There she can wait for some prince, or dream of crossing the street without looking back.

We are all the same way, even as adults. We live with our dreams and fantasies, and our secret lives thrive in privacy. All around us, our loved ones live out their private lives often unnoticed by us until we enter them. When we honor others' unspoken needs, when we allow others their privacy without being asked, or when we appreciate something they've done, we share the joy of living together in natural harmony.

How invisible are those in our presence every day?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

January 24, 2017

Only with winter patience can we bring
The deep desired, long-awaited spring.

—Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Family life requires patience. We probably realized that a long time ago. The Greek origin of the word patience is pathos, which means "suffering." In our lives together, we often suffer. Life is full of bumps and scrapes, both physical and emotional. In our search for greater family unity and harmony, we need to realize that we will not be able to escape all suffering. This is why we need patience. It is a form of love. When we suffer the bumps and scrapes and still have faith something good will come of it, we are living out our love. From this winter, patience we will surely find a reward.

How have I practiced my patience already today?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

January 25, 2017

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear.

—Lao-tzu

A group of friends went swimming one day and one of them lost a ring in the bottom of the lake. Everyone started diving from different directions to find it until there was so much mud and sand stirred up that no one could see anything. Finally, they decided to clear the water. They waited silently on the edge of the shore for the mud from all their activity to settle. When it finally cleared, one person dove in slowly and picked up the ring.

When we are confused about something in our lives, we will often hear answers and advice from all directions. Our friends will tell us one thing and our families another, until we feel pretty well mixed up. If we look away from our problem and let patience and time do their work, the mud inside us will settle and clear. Our answer will become visible, like the glimmer of silver in the water.

Am I overlooking the simple solution?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am not a patient gal by nature--I like to take action, and I want to see the results no later than last week!

But "waiting for the mud to settle" has really brought me a lot of good results in matters both great and small. Waiting to speak, waiting to take an action, waiting until I understand the situation, waiting until I can see clearly--and when it's time, the right action really does "arise by itself."

I'm slowly growing in my ability to recognize that action when it arises.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

January 26, 2017

Nothing is more difficult than competing with a myth.

— Francoise Giroud

Sometimes we think we need to try and be something we're not. Maybe we feel pressure from friends to behave or dress like someone else. All we need to do is remember when we were younger and dressed in our parents' clothes and shoes. We pretended to be grownups, and it was fun for a while. Then the huge shoes on our feet grew clumsy and uncomfortable and the mountain of rolled-up sleeves kept falling down and getting in the way. Soon we grew tired of the game and stopped pretending. Today when we start feeling the pressure to be someone else, let's remember how hard it is to play a role that doesn't fit us.

What can I do today that is most like me?

Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

A good reflection HP. Relate- doing study- attained (for me) dizzying heights- in the past drunk, not caring and with little effort. Now it is hard- very hard. Another's shoes? Dress up certainly has a lot to do with it. Very much one to try and attain mindfulness in the here and now.