SR Christmas!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Eauchiche, we used to play Balderdash in my family, too. I agree, it was a scream!

Maybe those of us who aren't much good at the German Scrabble thing can do Balderdash instead...

And I do hope all is well w/the canoe, too.
Balderdash it is for me.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

What a great thread, Seren! Thanks for letting me know about it Anvil.

The only German I know is dog commands and that doesn't seem appropriate I can pfui, though for Anvil eating all the cheese and crackers - pronounced like foo-ey, means STOP! Or at least slow down, I want some after I get back from our church's candlelight service.

I haven't had much Christmas spirit so this thread is much appreciated.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well, since Anvil could not be trusted with the crudites, I will not put her in charge of the potatos.

Dinner will be served in one hour. Salmon with a balsamic/mustard glaze, roasted potato wedges with garlic and fennel, and roasted asparagus drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Dessert is a sour cream pound cake with chocolate frosting.

So, who has been winning German scrabble while I have been at Mass? You stay away from that cake until after dinner, Anvil
Old 12-24-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

So I love a good, old Advent carol like "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day". Who else has a favorite, or current favorite carol?

Oh, and who is going to be our piano player?
Old 12-24-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

well Hearthealth was crushing it in Scrabble....Eauchiche got a hot game of Balderdash going, but they keep yelling over the game!? Ned and Daisy tried to cover for me and lick all the evidence off my fingers.

did someone say CAKE? i'm just HOLDING it ok.....
Old 12-24-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
well Hearthealth was crushing it in Scrabble....Eauchiche got a hot game of Balderdash going, but they keep yelling over the game!? Ned and Daisy tried to cover for me and lick all the evidence off my fingers.

did someone say CAKE? i'm just HOLDING it ok.....

I know Ned and Daisy like to be helpful And leave some of that cake for the others!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is, of course, a bed and breakfast weekend, so I have set up enough rooms for everyone to stay up talking most of the night and then crawl upstairs and crash.

I will wander through and tend to the fire now and again. The rest of the cake and cookies will be left out, and if someone wants a late-night sandwich, help yourself.

I'll start serving Christmas Breakfast around 8:30 (did someone say Belgian Waffles?). Everyone will have an English Cracker at their plate...you have to wear your paper crown after you open it!!

Have we named Eauchiche as the Balderdash champion? It's probably a tie between atalose and hearthealth for the Scrabble champ...but there is still time for others to join in!

This hostess has to be up early again, so I will wish you a very Merry Christmas Eve and say 'good-night' and see you in the morning!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Eauchiche, we used to play Balderdash in my family, too. I agree, it was a scream!

Maybe those of us who aren't much good at the German Scrabble thing can do Balderdash instead...

And I do hope all is well w/the canoe, too.
Honey, Balderdash is supposed to only be ENGLISH words, but I would bluff and claim they were something else in another language.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

MITTERNACHT. Now where are those cakes and cookies? Maybe the Belgium Waffles are cooking?.......Santa?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi guys, sorry I'm late! I was looking for my piano book with the Christmas songs I love. I only play piano six weeks a year, solely for Christmas music. Someday when time allows I'll play more and get better, but for now this is good! I love the idea of family and friends gathering around and singing songs.

The most beautiful one I can play is the one that goes "Glo-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-Ria, in excelsis deoooooo"

But I take requests. It smells delicious in here!!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Praying - Just heard that song in our candlelight service at church.

I also heard Silent Night, the first verse, sung in German!! I was trying to remember words for scrabble but already forgot them.

My favorite Christmas song is Oh, Holy Night. Grew up listening to my mom play it on the piano and a dear friend sing it.

I may be late for breakfast, Seren, as it's already after midnight and I'm still trying to get sleepy, but I will be there. May not be on SR much tomorrow, but you all will be in my heart and I will just tuck you in pockets, on my shoulder, etc. and take you with me.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm just up now!! Thank you, Praying, for being our piano player....! Oh, and the kerfuffle with the canoe before was that someone ran into one of our local snapping turtles while out for a spin and it gave them quite a start! Just stay in the canoe, folks!! It is going to be another beautiful day here.

Hearthealth, Santa *has* been here for all of my SR Guests!!!

I've already peeked in my stocking, and I got the scarf and gloves I was hoping for...yay!

There is a pot of decaf on for all the insomniacs who would still like to try to get back to sleep for a few more hours, as well as a pot of fully-leaded for the hard-core caffeine folks such as myself.

Breakfast begins around 8:30 so you can eat before or after any church service you care to attend.

Belgian waffles with real whipped cream and fresh berries, bacon, eggs of all varieties, omelettes, hash brown potatoes, and more bagels and creme cheese (some with flavors, too!).

In this neighborhood, we will have carolers, so keep an eye out! I have started to make Wassail in a fairly sizable punch bowl to hand out to them when they stop by. Will someone help me carry the bowl to the table by the front door when it's ready?

Let us know what Santa brought you when you have a chance to peek, too!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Stille Nacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbhxZOOXLvU
Old 12-24-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'll give you a hand toting the Wassail bowl to the table, Seren--I've never even seen Wassail, let alone tasted it, so this is a new experience for me! I googled it and found more recipes than you can shake a stick at...

And I'll fix myself a cup of high-test coffee for sure--this is my "power" time of day! Glad to help get things ready for those folks who like to sleep in (like Ned, who is snoring gently in his comfy bed...).
Old 12-25-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, honeypig! And be assured, my Wassail recipe is alcohol-free...in case anyone was wondering
Old 12-25-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas! I will take a cup of decaf and attempt to fall asleep for a few more hours! Just dropped off some more stocking stuffers for this wonderful group.

❤️Delilah
Old 12-25-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, Delilah! Drop in later for a late breakfast!!
Old 12-25-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Quiet day. First one with no family or booze -ever. Bit sad- but accepting and strangely alright with it. Did not miss booze one bit. Hottest day here for 70 years. 3 hours ago it was 42C. Watching non Xmas Brit stand up. Stay safe, sober and sane- peaceful and happy. PJ
Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

No booze for me or companions today, and tomorrow off to the airport and Tasmania for the Three Capes walk. It will have to be energetic enough to walk off the food.
Went for a swim in the Indian Ocean this morning and it wasn't cold at all. Good swell though.
Have a lovely time at Seren's place SR peeps. The weather sounds ideal.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:27 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

How's the Freemantle doctor tonight?