Fighting With Landlord

Old 09-09-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fighting With Landlord

This has been an ongoing issue for over a year now. Apparent Drug dealers/users moving in and out.
There was a hole in my kitchen wall from a plumbing repair for over 2 months. After repeated contacts to the property manager, it was not fixed, so I hired it done and deducted it from my rent. I am entitled to do this under California law.
Now the property manager says they are issuing a 3 day notice for the money I deducted.
I am trying to look on the bright side. Maybe this is God's way of taking me somewhere that is less stressful.
Just looking for moral support here. Many thanks!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a mess... sorry you're dealing with this, Eau.

It seems as though you could fight the 3 day notice pretty easily... like you said, you were entitled to do what you did under California law...
but it sounds like you're pretty done fighting with the landlord... and maybe it is time to move on and the fight is just not worth it.
On the other hand, if you love your home, and/or don't want to move, then you shouldn't!
Do the negatives outweigh the positives ?
Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh. Apartment living bites when it comes to this stuff. The same happened to my bathroom when they came to do a plumbing repair.
Our building managers just moved out because the property managers are terrible. Now we haven't had our building cleaned at all this month and our garbage chute is clogged!

If you're within your rights under law- if they try to evict you because of this don't you get a court date where you can present this? Whether you stay or go, you still don't want to end up owing it.
I'm not sure how things work in your state, or country for that matter. Here in Ontario I know that I've had to go before the tribunal due to damages after moving out (mostly caused by a waterline breaking and flooding the entire floor I was on) and you can mediate with them or go before a judge and present your case. I was able to mediate and walk out happy.
Best of luck to you in dealing with this nonsense. Hope things end up in your best interest.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support, friends.
There was no 3 day notice as of yesterday..... I wonder if the property manager got in trouble with her boss.

I went last night to see some places that are available. No real "wow" factor there. I like where I am living now okay, if it wasn't for the continual drama here.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tenants in California have a LOT of protection. If you're up for standing up for your rights, check out the Dept. of Consumer Affairs website for your county and look for landlord /tenant rules. The law is on your side in this one.

OTOH the drama isn't appealing.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks 53500!!!
I just checked the mailbox. Still no 3 day notice, in spite of the manager's bellicose fulminations.

I have been reflecting for some time that I have asked them repeatedly who the assortment of characters are that come and go next door, sometimes staying for months. I thought that SURELY they would be interested in having all those people on the lease. I have also thought that her demeanor seems to have addict-like tendencies.
I thought it odd that, after I have always paid my rent on time, early actually and taken good care of the place, that it seems she is trying to get me to move.

Then, I had a bit of an epiphany this afternoon. I all of a sudden realized that she probably IS an addict. Seems plausible that the folks next door might be some of her druggie friends. Maybe she wants me out of here so she can move another addict family in.....
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't have any advice, just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading "bellicose fulminations."
Old 09-11-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha, Lexie!!!
Problem is, around here a lot of folks don't know what that means.....
Old 09-11-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think "The Bellicose Fulminations" would be a GREAT name for a band!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I think "The Bellicose Fulminations" would be a GREAT name for a band!
Agreed!

I know there's a principle at stake here, but sometimes it's best to sacrifice the principle to the practicalities. It sounds like it's not a pleasant place to live. If I were you I'd be looking for a new place to live. A lease entitles you to the "quiet enjoyment" of your living space. Seems to me the landlord has constructively voided the lease (I'd check with a landlord/tenant lawyer to be sure).
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The lease was for the first year. I've been there 18 months.
I have been looking off and on, more "on" now.
You are quite right about the enjoyment being gone.
I know God has a plan and I am holding onto that truth. Many thanks for your support!!!