A Deadly Reminder

Old 08-16-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Deadly Reminder

Came across this today, and it just freaks me out to know the dangers. An abusive animal took out his entire family then himself, all because his wife dare leave him and his abuse. Three beautiful young children, a beautiful wife, and even the family dog... all gone in the blink of an eye before he wrote his little note then shot himself. What's so scary is how coldly calculated it all was. He'd known she'd gotten another place and even offered to rent a moving van and help her move her things. Then he bought a gun weeks in advance. Then he took his kids to an amusement park in Hershey, PA THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE knowing he'd be ending all their lives the very next day. The cops had been called - multiple times - for his domestic abuse in the past. She would not file a protection order. She thought it was under control. They were the picture perfect family that even had a "famous" baby who received a heart transplant and had been in the news. I've read so many here that are a bit flippant when leaving then some of them we don't hear from again. Reading this one really hit home -- was she "one of ours" on F&F? I've researched more news articles than just this one I reference on CNN. The whole situation rips my heart out. Please be careful out there.

DA: Father of heart-transplant toddler killed family in murder-suicide - CNN.com
Old 08-16-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks for sharing that sad update. I know prosecutors in that office, and the last I had read of the media accounts they were still investigating who pulled the trigger. Seen way too much of this sort of thing in my career.

This is why ANY abuse has to be taken seriously--even though the victim was afraid of her husband, I'm sure she had no notion he could ever do such a thing. It happens--way too often.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, so sad.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read this, too. Sobering.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so often these tragedies are prefaced by statements such as:

Oh he would NEVER do that, he's not a BAD man

wishing something so does not make it so. and abuse can not be wished away. it always gets worse.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One of the other news stories quoted the DA as expressing the importance of safety planning when one is in the process of leaving a dangerous relationship. Not all tragedies can be prevented, but good safety planning would prevent at least some of them.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too read this article and while it is SAD and SCAREY, it also makes me so angry!! Those poor children must have been terrified... and the dog too... I can't even wrap my head around it.