Should I or Shouldn't I?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Yep...it's me again. I'm trying not to be embarrassed that I'm still here after all this time.

Here's what's going on now. Last May, my AB flew to Texas and thought it would be a good idea to drink all day before the flight, at the airport, and get a bottle when he landed. He had a rental car and was drinking in a parking lot and got arrested for a DUI. In my opinion, he only got a slap on the wrist. He had to pay a fine, he has to have a blower on his car and he's on probation.

Fast forward to the week of June 10th, 2016. He was travelling again for his own company. When he travels for a week, 1/2 that time is spent drunk in a hotel and the other is spent actually working. Unfortunately, he owns a type of business where this is acceptable.
He decided to try to drive one morning and blew dirty. His probation officer revoked his probation. So, he's back in TX. He turned himself in, had to spend the night in jail and cannot return home until he finishes the rest of his probation terms, i.e., 3 day class and a few hours of community service and his court date. He has been drunk since last Thursday. His first class is tonight in the hotel that he's staying at.

Here is my question...he has court on the 10th. Should I let his attorney and/or his probation officer know that he's breaking the terms of the probation again in the hopes that they mandate him to rehab or no? Or will they even mandate that? I would think that they could clearly see that he has a problem. He has had a total of 4 DUI's since 2000. Two of them were plead down and 1 was dropped. But he was still charged with 4. Nothing in his punishment includes anything that might help him.

Or should I just butt out and focus on my job and my kids and my life?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only when HE clearly sees that he has problem -- not his attorney, or his probation officer, trust me they already KNOW -- will he commit to anything that might help him.

My vote is for your peace and serenity to just focus on yourself and your kids. That's enough for one person.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Or should I just butt out and focus on my job and my kids and my life?
YES this!!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're both right, but there's that part of me that wants him to feel the pain...you know? I know that makes me selfish...just like him. I just want to help him hit the bottom quicker. But, I doubt even that would help. He got drunk the night he got out of jail. Nothing will stop him.

I'm a horrible person for saying those things, but I'm tired of it all.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are not a horrible person at all. (((HUGS)))

Sure, call him in if you think he's going to kill someone else on the road, but other than that, his rock bottom is his.

but I'm tired of it all.
I'm sure you are - it's all exhausting, defeating, MADDENING!

So where is your rock bottom with this nightmare? Can you do this rollercoaster forever? THEY do not have to be the ones to put an end to it all...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

They already know he violated probation--you said his probation was "revoked".

What, exactly, would you be informing them of? If he's already been sentenced on the VOP, he can't be resentenced.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are not a horrible person! What you're having to deal with is sooo not fun! The best way to be healthy and stay healthy is let him deal with consequenses himself and focus on yourself and your job and do other things that you find enjoyable; and bring joy for you. So that no matter what anyone else is doing in your life, you will be healthy and happy.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I imagine with the life he leads, he is already in intense pain, the likes of which you might consider yourself fortunate not to be able to understand. If he wasn't, he probably wouldn't drink to numb it the way he does.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
They already know he violated probation--you said his probation was "revoked".

What, exactly, would you be informing them of? If he's already been sentenced on the VOP, he can't be resentenced.
They don't know that he continues to drink. He is supposed to stay away from alcohol during his probation.

His revocation trial isn't until the 10th of August so we don't know what will happen then. They only know that he messed up that one time in June and he told them that my Mom was dying and it upset him. That excuse ticked me off. She did pass away and he was holed up in a hotel drunk off his butt while I held her hand.

They have no clue that he spends 2 weeks a month drunk and passed out on the couch. And they don't know him. They only know what he's done in TX. His attorney barely speaks to him and his probation officer only reads the blow reports once a month.

I am being as honest as I can right now. I want him to pay the price for his alcoholism and it's easier if someone else does it. But, this is me trying to control the situation, huh?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becki67 View Post
You're both right, but there's that part of me that wants him to feel the pain...you know?
comin from the practicing alcoholic side, hes probably hurtin without your assistance.

and doesnt need your assistance at digging his own grave. we seem to do that quite well on our own.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm confused. Are you still with this guy, or not?

If yes, why do you want him to hurt (which it sounds like he is already)? If not, why are you still interested an concerning yourself with what he's up to?

Either way, it seems like you're falling into the trap of holding resentments. Justified or not, they never do us any good. Holding resentments against someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Have you considered doing some work on your own recovery. You can't control him, but you can make the decision to work on making yourself happy and serene. Alanon or CoDa could be worth looking into.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think they probably assume he is still drinking, and probation has the authority to test him if they are concerned.

I'd stay out of it, unless your safety is at stake.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're right. There is resentment. There's resentment because every time he gets in trouble, I'm left holding the pieces together and he gets off with a slap. When I need him most, he's not there. When I want to break down and cry over my Mom passing away, I have to be strong because it makes him want to drink. When I was going to the nursing home and watching her die every day, he was drinking in a hotel room escaping all the pain. When I had to put the cat down on a Tuesday and my heart dog down on Wednesday morning, he got to be drunk and passed out on the couch. So, yeah, there's resentment there. Yeah, he's in pain. But, so am I. Why am I the one that has to handle it like a responsible adult and he gets to escape it all? I have a therapist that I speak to. I'm doing what I have to do and I'm living my life the right way. Why does he get to use his alcoholism as an excuse not to?

I'm extremely stressed today and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as spiteful. It isn't fair that all of us do it the "right way" and they don't have to. We have to change.....but we aren't allowed to try to force them to or "we're being co-dependent and need to work on ourselves". It doesn't seem fair and after 12.5 years of it, I'm very frustrated.

I know the next response is "why don't you leave?". The loan to the 250K house is in my name alone, but the deed is in both of our names. He was supposed to get it in his name, too, but that never happened. I can't force him out and if I leave, he will destroy my credit.

I'm sorry...
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becki67 View Post
You're both right, but there's that part of me that wants him to feel the pain...you know? I know that makes me selfish...just like him. I just want to help him hit the bottom quicker. But, I doubt even that would help. He got drunk the night he got out of jail. Nothing will stop him.

I'm a horrible person for saying those things, but I'm tired of it all.
I know what you want....you want him to get sober and be the boyfriend you dream of. Your plan to call his probation officer is as much for YOU and it is for him. btw there is no guarantees of anything, they might forego rehab and just send him straight to jail. I'm not saying that would be a bad idea. BUT, you don't need to meddle in the path he has chosen to walk.

You gotta give him the dignity to screw it all to hell.

Better to focus your energy on yo and your kids.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just want to help him hit the bottom quicker.

Something I learned about “bottoms”, what we think would be a bottom, often they just pick up a shovel and keep digging.

I'm doing what I have to do and I'm living my life the right way. Why does he get to use his alcoholism as an excuse not to?

He's an alcoholic and living as an alcoholic lives. You are expecting him to live life as if he were not one.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I get it Becki, it's beyond frustrating to be the only one who seems to see the Whole Truth; we all have too much experience with that situation.

But honestly, your growing resentments aren't helping you manage any of this or helping to change your situation at all.

What if this is the BEST it ever gets as he continues progressively sliding into alcoholism's craziness?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know the next response is "why don't you leave?". The loan to the 250K house is in my name alone, but the deed is in both of our names. He was supposed to get it in his name, too, but that never happened. I can't force him out and if I leave, he will destroy my credit.

Maybe it’s time to see a lawyer and see what you can do to remove his name from the deed rather than be hostage to this loan/house which then makes you a hostage to him.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

B,
I am an alanon gal, and one thing I learned is "when in doubt, don't". If I ever question doing something, I try to follow that.

I know you want to "punish" him for all the crap he has done to "you". But don't you think you would feel better knowing that you minded your own business and let everything fall the way it's suppose too. This is about your recovery, what you are learning here to do. I get it, as I would have loved to punish my axh. We need to mind our side of the street only.

I think you know that, and that is why you are asking. Ugh my friend. I do get it.....
Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You don't have to work on yourself. You can carry on holding the resentment if you choose to. And it's not that people aren't 'allowed' to force alcoholics to stop. It's that it just doesn't work to do so.

Do you have kids with him? If so, surely if you split he would still have to contribute to their home and maintenance. Have you sought legal advice? What if you downsized to something you could afford without him? I know, technically that would not be 'fair', but wouldn't it be better to be free of someone who it sounds like you're growing to despise and be able to start again, fresh, and live your life simply but happily.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

He's an ADULT. Let him deal with his own issues. Butt out. And whatever you do, please don't marry him.
That's all I've got.
Hugs
Ro