DV.... How Can I Help????

Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DV.... How Can I Help????

I already volunteer for flea markets to benefit the DV shelters. I guess that is not the question that I am asking.

How do I do more? How does anyone bring more pressure to the government about these issues? How do you bring out more awareness to these issues?

I think it was after reading redatlanta's post, I realized I wasn't doing enough, but I don't know what to do.

(((((hugs)))))
amy
Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are tons of nonprofits out there that work on these issues. PA has a DV coalition that is active in things like lobbying and working on significant court cases. People are also needed to volunteer for the DV response teams, that assist victims in the immediate aftermath of an incident. I think, as a survivor, yourself, you have to be very careful not to take on more than you can handle emotionally. Maybe working at more of a remove from the immediacy of an assault, such as helping out with the Coalition or one of its member agencies in some other capacity, might be safer for you.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I checked out PA DV coalition. It's in Harrisburg Pa, about 1 1/2 hours away. They were closed now, but I can call them tomorrow. I'm sure that is the headquarters and there would be something closer to me.

I think you're right about the hands on DV. I don't know if I am strong enough to do that yet.

I just know that I need to do something more then what I'm doing.

thank you
amy
Old 07-07-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel the same Amy.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy, our local crisis center and hotline are always looking for people to help. Our local abuse shelter always needs help too - and they work pretty closely with victims services at the law and justice center.

After seeing a couple friends go through DV - I often wonder how I can help too. My all womens riding club is now working with our local shelter to raise $ and spread awareness. Feels great.

PS - thanks for all you do here in SR for victims!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are a good soul Amy!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did call the PA DV coalition today. They advised me to work with my local shelter. I already do that. Maybe not as much as I can, but I do.

What I decided to do was to check it out with my local DV about putting up posters in the woman's room about DV, with their phone #. I know in NJ this was in almost every bathroom. It's sometimes the only time a woman is alone.
In Pa, I don't see these posters. Perhaps they were torn off the wall. I thought I could buy those plastic frames so they could be mounted in the bathrooms, and I could visit places and ask management if they could please put them up.

amy
Old 07-07-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think that's a TERRIFIC idea. Especially in places like bars, clubs, restaurants. Lots of drama goes on in those kinds of settings, and sometimes it turns violent.

There are truckers who do that for human trafficking. The good truckers often see young women being trafficked, and the girls tend to hang out at truck stops. So they put posters up and hand out cards. The grassroots approach can be very powerful.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My idea for the poster was to label it as Domestic Abuse, not Domestic Violence. I feel people who are in abusive relationships, that weren't hit would not read it if it said Domestic Violence.

I was also thinking of doing something, like have you ever felt like you didn't matter, have you ever felt that you can never be good enough. That's not really what I would be saying there, but similar to that.

Was also thinking of adding in that the DV # is totally confidential, and that if you call, "no", the cops will not be knocking at your door. Again, I need to think of better wording, then would need to have it approved.

I checked out the prices for acrylic frames, think I might go with plastic covers, like menus have.

I do go to a lot of bars, you need to go to a bar most of the time in PA to get pizza. Don't go to clubs, but I can do that when they open, and talk to management.

I get alimony of $400.00 a month from my abusive ex. Most months I have extra money. I can't think of any better way to spend that extra money each month from my abusive ex.

amy
Old 07-08-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just a heads-up. Before you advertise the Hotline or any other resource, you should get their permission, or at least find out what wording they might need you to put on it. Many of these organizations are grant-funded, and anything that goes out under their name has to be approved by OVW or whomever provides the grant funds. You might need to put a disclaimer or something on the bottom that says that the posters were privately funded and that none of those organizations is responsible for the content.

Not trying to discourage you, just making suggestions that might save you the hassle of a fight or having to take them down, after all your hard work.

I'd run it by the Coalition to make sure they agree that the wording is helpful and accurate--not to have them officially approve it, necessarily, but you don't want to accidentally be stating something that isn't quite accurate.

I think it sounds like a worthwhile project. Don't forget to check out printing costs.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lexie, I'll be going to my local shelter within the next two weeks and planned to run it by them. I'll be calling them ahead of time to make sure the director is there. I was thinking of asking her for her input, and to present it to the coalition. I don't know how long an official approval would take, but if they informally approve it, I can then use the disclaimer on it.

I was also thinking that I could look at some of their pre approved posters. I just want to shy away a little from using the word "VIOLENCE". I know when I first started to see DV ads, when I saw the word "violence", I would think that I didn't have it that bad, he only hit me once at that time. So maybe they already have a poster that is geared more towards verbal and emotional abuse.

My goal would be to have more people aware of domestic abuse, even if they were never hit, and to know they have a place to go to, or someone to talk to, something in the beginning of the poster that grabs your attention, and gets you to read it, and perhaps write down the phone number.

amy