Recovering alcoholic girlfriend

Old 06-21-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great idea. I will tell him to talk to his sponsor.

My thought: stay out of it. You really shouldn't be telling him what to do. He has a right to make his own choices. Maybe he doesn't WANT to give up what he's doing with her.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

picturegirl.....I delicately propose that it might go better if you suggest rather than "tell"......
"Suggest" sounds less bossy or controlling.......

I'm just saying.....

dandylion
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Central he can so what he wants but not with me in the relationship. Will find out the outcome tonight.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
picturegirl.....I delicately propose that it might go better if you suggest rather than "tell"......
"Suggest" sounds less bossy or controlling.......

I'm just saying.....

dandylion
Agree!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The reality is that this makes you uncomfortable but at the same time this is one of those things that he needs to be able to figure out for himself... because the other reality is that you can't police his recovery in this way or you'll go crazy. It's not yours to manage.

In my personal opinion, there's a good reason for same-sex sponsor/sponsee relationships in AA & Al Anon. I also highly doubt that someone with less than 6 months of recovery under their belt is ready to act in a sponsor-like role for ANYONE, but there's no hard & fast rule about it. At this point he's still in early recovery & is likely best served worrying about his OWN recovery needs & efforts. For my RAH, having someone else to focus on in his early recovery would have kept him from focusing his own issues. (That's not to say that he ignored others when they called needing a shoulder - he just listened & directed them back to the program & their sponsors.)
Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
The reality is that this makes you uncomfortable but at the same time this is one of those things that he needs to be able to figure out for himself... because the other reality is that you can't police his recovery in this way or you'll go crazy. It's not yours to manage.

In my personal opinion, there's a good reason for same-sex sponsor/sponsee relationships in AA & Al Anon. I also highly doubt that someone with less than 6 months of recovery under their belt is ready to act in a sponsor-like role for ANYONE, but there's no hard & fast rule about it. At this point he's still in early recovery & is likely best served worrying about his OWN recovery needs & efforts. For my RAH, having someone else to focus on in his early recovery would have kept him from focusing his own issues. (That's not to say that he ignored others when they called needing a shoulder - he just listened & directed them back to the program & their sponsors.)
Thank you. I agree! He has been suffering from alcoholism for a long time. Six months is definitely not enough time. He has not completed all the steps. He still has a lot of issues he is dealing with. Six grown children and only two speak to him. He should put effort in re establishing those relationships.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, you can't measure his progress based on the number of steps completed - recovery just doesn't work that way, it's not a linear, straight-forward path. Be careful of throwing around all those "shoulds"..... *I* hear a lot of judgment in them.

How about you picturegirl? What do you do to help you manage being in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic? What are you doing to help keep to your side of the street in this relationship?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

one of the hardest things for me to do is/was to remove the other person entirely and look at why their actions bother me.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If I am reading your posts correctly, you re-connected with someone you used to date in high school who was known to you as an alcoholic who didn’t have a pot to pee in, an ex-wife and some children he doesn’t talk to and you went ahead full speed into this relationship– regardless of all of those big red flags??? Are you attending al-anon? Or counseling for codependency?

He’s showing more red flags with his attachment/addiction to this new woman friend of his in AA where he’s only been for less than 6 months himself.

You are jealous of this woman and he doesn’t care because that’s how alcoholics are especially this early in his sobriety.

Showing him the comments on here is taking away YOUR chance at your own recovery while you are attempting to control him and his recovery.

Why is it not enough for you to see that he’s not putting your feelings above this new stranger and that you MUST show him what some other people (us) think about it??
Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by picturegirl81 View Post
He should put effort in re establishing those relationships.
maybe so, but its not your call to make. that's up to him.

honestly, im reading YOU took a hostage and YOUR hostage isn't meeting your ransoms and demands.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree that you would get a lot of benefit from attending some Alanon meetings. It would also give you a chance to connect with the spouses and partners of others in recovery and hear how they navigated their relationships during early sobriety and beyond.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone taking part in this thread. It has helped me enormously to read it all.

Sorry for hi-jack.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Well, you can't measure his progress based on the number of steps completed - recovery just doesn't work that way, it's not a linear, straight-forward path. Be careful of throwing around all those "shoulds"..... *I* hear a lot of judgment in them.

How about you picturegirl? What do you do to help you manage being in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic? What are you doing to help keep to your side of the street in this relationship?
This is new to me. We talk about AA everyday. I am very supportive and encourage him at least I think I am. It's very difficult for me. When we first started talking two years ago he told me he was an alcoholic. We only talked for 7 months on the phone. He was a functioning alcoholic who remembered everything. He never sounded drunk on the phone. I was in love with him in high school and fell back in love with him over the phone. Even when we spent time together I never saw him drink. He never looked drunk. I am a non drinker! Not interested in drinking at all. In december he lost his job and his drinking escalated to where I could see it affecting him. He had a date in January 2016 for rehab. Just prayed he made it without it killing him. He went downhill fast. After he came back from rehab I had to get to know him as a sober person which was way different. I am a very easy going and supportive person. I am aware of addiction. My son will be three years sober in September from Heroin. He overdosed and almost lost his life. Not sure what so do? Very confused.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
If I am reading your posts correctly, you re-connected with someone you used to date in high school who was known to you as an alcoholic who didn’t have a pot to pee in, an ex-wife and some children he doesn’t talk to and you went ahead full speed into this relationship– regardless of all of those big red flags??? Are you attending al-anon? Or counseling for codependency?

He’s showing more red flags with his attachment/addiction to this new woman friend of his in AA where he’s only been for less than 6 months himself.

You are jealous of this woman and he doesn’t care because that’s how alcoholics are especially this early in his sobriety.

Showing him the comments on here is taking away YOUR chance at your own recovery while you are attempting to control him and his recovery.

Why is it not enough for you to see that he’s not putting your feelings above this new stranger and that you MUST show him what some other people (us) think about it??
See my answer below.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am a non drinker. Never drank in my life. No interest.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I don't see where anyone has said that you are or were a drinker, picturegirl....what are you responding to here? Did I miss something in the post you quoted?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You have no interest in what?

I never said you drank I only suggested al-anon which is a program for friends/loved ones of alcoholics.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We're not suggesting Al-Anon or other forms of therapy for codependency because you have/had a drinking problem of your own, but because they can help those of us affected by another person's addiction.

I am aware of addiction. My son will be three years sober in September from Heroin. He overdosed and almost lost his life. Not sure what so do? Very confused.
Did you ever reach out for any kind of resources or group therapy when you were dealing with addiction in your son? On this "side of the fence" we're as concerned with breaking our own codependent habits as we are about wishing our loved ones would get & stay healthy. (well, more so really)

We often have just as many, but different, dysfunctional habits & patterns. I was a child of an alcoholic & I grew up learning a lot of the "wrong" ways of going about all of this until I found myself seeking support in dealing with my alcoholic spouse, decades later. Now I'm learning this stuff all over again, with new eyes & ears & labels.

So, when you say you are "aware" of addiction, what does that mean? Are you also aware of codependency & how difficult it can be to recognize? I hear a lot of red flags in your posts that lead me to believe this is all new to you so I hope you stick around - there is SO much experience & wisdom shared here at SR.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I don't see where anyone has said that you are or were a drinker, picturegirl....what are you responding to here? Did I miss something in the post you quoted?
Sorry I thought codependency was a drinker
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You have no interest in what?

I never said you drank I only suggested al-anon which is a program for friends/loved ones of alcoholics.
No interest in drinking. Sorry misinterpreted a comment! I turned to the forums since a lot of people read and give great comments, suggestions. I appreciate them all