My last vent.... Prejudice

Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

amy......I get what you are talking about. Been there....

I agree that watching cute animal videos on you-tube is a good antidote for being overwhelmed with the negativity.
I love the cute cat/kitten videos....
Also, being in the healing presence of nature helps me....as well as upbeat or inspirational music....
I, actually, don't think that we are constructed for the amount of stimulation that the media brings into our lives....and, the fast pace of life, today.

We feel ya, amy.....

dandylion
Old 04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

For a decade now, I have fought for the rights of homeless people and against hatred and ignorance against them.
Some of it starts with education but then you have those who are so entrenched in fear and hatred that they are uneducable.
To answer your question I think that what we need is more kindness and compassion.
Acknowledging our common humanity is a good start.

I also agree with Dandylion. Sometimes it can be overwhelming. One thing I do to unwind (aside from meditation) is play a really cute game called Gardens Of Time where I get to create and build my own garden...good way to shut out the outside world once in a while.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's why I spend lots of quality time with my dogs. They don't know what hate or prejudice even is.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It sadden me as well how the world
doesn't seem to be getting any better,
just worse as the days go by.

My husband and I were on our way
to Walmart yesterday morning and
chatting about New Orleans which
is less than one hour away from here
in Baton Rouge.

New Orleans is rich in heritage and
its so sad that even after Hurricane
Katrina and the rebuilding of the city
it would have cleaned up the crime
there too.

Sadly its horrible with senseless
murders like this past weekend
with one of our Saints DE Will Smith.

It's not just this murder but many
horrific murders and crimes often
committed due to drugs, guns, road
rage etc.

In talking, we are just sick about
how folks use guns and violence
mixed with hatred, drugs, heartless,
mindless actions to solve problems
in todays time.

And its not just them, it can be
someone minding their own business,
the innocence that get hurt or in the
cross fires.

I shared that as long as im on Earth
that I hope to make some little purpose,
doing whatever I am suppose to be
doing to help another, be of best service
as I can, till im called to leave this world.

We try to stay strong in our faith
and sobriety as we continue on our
recovery journey.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

As I said, the ignorant are the most vocal. I don't think things are going QUITE as bad as it appears to be sometimes. Yes, there is backlash and there is real hatred in the world. Still, look at the acceptance of things that would have been unthinkable 50 or even 30 years ago. Don't overlook the progress that's been made.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by the media. We can't hide from all the bad in the world, but there's a lot of good stuff going on, too. It's easy to get discouraged but I think hope is not unrealistic. There are a lot of awesome people in the world--they just get the headlines more rarely.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
As I said, the ignorant are the most vocal. I don't think things are going QUITE as bad as it appears to be sometimes. Yes, there is backlash and there is real hatred in the world. Still, look at the acceptance of things that would have been unthinkable 50 or even 30 years ago. Don't overlook the progress that's been made.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by the media. We can't hide from all the bad in the world, but there's a lot of good stuff going on, too. It's easy to get discouraged but I think hope is not unrealistic. There are a lot of awesome people in the world--they just get the headlines more rarely.
Yes. This. ^^^^^^^^

I like to read history (or just the old testament) because it documents how REALLY REALLY horrible things were in the past. It puts today in perspective. What is different now is the availability of information.

In a way, I feel we live more morally/ethically when we tune into the good stuff going on in the world. The alcoholic rewriting a sobriety plan after a relapse. The codependent, detaching and going no -contact with an addict. A depressive going to a Zumba class. Anyone playing Getcha with a toddler. If you add up these bits of positive actions, the sum is HUGE.

I just read Second Suns , a book about a Nepali Doctor who has been eradicating curable blindness in the World's poor. Amazing read. This man didn't stand alone. Many many good folks have helped him do what he does.

Hmm . . .maybe we need to start a good news thread on this forum??!!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Great documentary showing how bigotry are prejudice are purely social constructions:

A Class Divided | FRONTLINE | PBS
Old 04-13-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thing to consider, as well. A lot of the backlash/overt hatred comes as a result of people finally standing up for themselves and refusing to be marginalized any longer. Progress is painful all the way around. It's the same kind of discomfort that happens in our homes when we start to detach and to take care of ourselves rather than catering to the alcoholic/addict.

Most progress involves a measure of pain and struggle. If we weren't struggling and experiencing some of this stuff it would mean that people are ready to accept the status quo. That nobody was out there pushing the envelope of inclusion and acceptance.

Just another way to look at it.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ugh. I agree totally and we limit our intake of news.

While you don't want to point fingers at political parties I will wave my hands that way. Sh!t rolls downhill. What I see is exemplary of how our political parties treat each other. This division has carried down to the citizens most of whom swing one way or the other........I think we would see a kinder world if our leaders would start demonstrating how to be cooperative, negotiate, stop ridiculing, refusing to talk, and other things we see them do daily. Its disgusting.

Secondly, I do remember a time that there was ethics in journalism. I am not going to paint one broad stroke as I do see some (well very little) ethical journalism, but most is headline grabbing pontifications that are dilutions of accuracy. If I want to see something good about Democrats and crappy about GOP I go to MSNBC. If vice versa I go to Fox. Hate Trump? Washington Post, NYT. Like Hillary? Washington Post, NYT. Its a wonder we aren't all in therapy over the confusion of trying to decipher what's true and what isn't.

As for the peeing debate, LOL, I have worked with transgenders for over 20 years. I got news for people whose heads are spinning like a top with vomit spewing like the exorcist......trans people have being using their gender identified bathrooms for YEARS. LOL. Years!!! Why is this an issue now? Its an issue because the FAR left, and FAR right are making it one. Sometimes we just need to figure out how to get along rather than move to make a law for everything. Not everything needs to be solved legally, it can often times solve itself. Its not been an issue since the 1970's when trans people started making themselves known to the public (Renee Richards). What the hell do people think Trans folks have been doing for 40 years? Going home to use the bathroom????
Old 04-13-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

redatlanta.....that is exactly what I THOUGHT when this whole fuss started up.

dandylion