My last vent.... Prejudice

Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My last vent.... Prejudice

I just went to my local store here. It is owned by Indians (from India). They have always treated me the best. They even gave me a T shirt for x mas.

I remember the town that I moved from in Sussex co NJ. I used to always go to this gas station. The guy there was terrific. Another from India. I remember that he got beat up sometime in the early 90's, just because of what he looked like.

I remember we had a black female security guard where I worked, that was not allowed to get gas at most gas stations that she tried to go to. This was in the mid 90's.

I remember in HS, I had black friends, and I wasn't allowed to leave my house anymore.

I can see this all coming back right now, to this day.

I know this may come off as political, and that's OK, I didn't expect for it to not be removed.

I can not and will not ever judge another person, by anything, other then themselves. Even then, I am not a person to judge another.

I think the news recently is just getting me really sick. Need to stop watching that.

Just ((((((((hugs)))))))) and I am tired of this world the way it is
amy
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

100% with you Amy! As well as not watching the new, I strongly suggest not reading the comments section on websites and social media. My mental health is much better since I've quit reading the comments section!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How did you know I was reading the comment section where everyone is a lying crook? I don't want to say anything further then that. There is just too much hate coming out, and I can't participate in that.

When I went to my local store today, a new employee helped me. I just said hi, gave him a handshake and said nice to know you.

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, the comments are something I ALWAYS used to warn my victims against reading, if their case received any media coverage. There was always obnoxious crap about victims who are "too stupid to leave" or other such BS.

Free speech, which I DO believe in (rather passionately--I was a journalism major in undergrad), can definitely take an ugly turn. And the people with the ugly things to say are always the most vocal.

Some people are just jerks. There always have been jerks, and there always will be. I try not to let it get under my skin--the best counter is to treat people well, myself, and speak up when someone is being abused in front of me. It isn't worth debating with the morons online. They will always be louder. It's like arguing with a drunk--waste of breath.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And my mental health got better since stopped watching TV!

My very own Netflix subscription works just fine. And cable is expensive. Once I cut Facebook, I'll be saved!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I watched this movie today, can't find it right now. It was a documentary type thing about rape on college campuses. How no one cared. Most of the offender were football players, or frat brothers.

So I didn't stop thinking there. I thought about all of the hate that is coming around in this political year.

I don't like hate. I hate "hate".

I was doing a lot better when I shut the world out. Think I need to do that again.

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I can change the world although a very small part of it by reaching out to others. The only time we should look down on others is when we are giving them a hand up
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I can change the world although a very small part of it by reaching out to others. The only time we should look down on others is when we are giving them a hand up
I love that saying, thank you so much !!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
And my mental health got better since stopped watching TV!

My very own Netflix subscription works just fine. And cable is expensive. Once I cut Facebook, I'll be saved!
YES! I don't watch anything that isn't pre-recorded so to speak, I don't watch the news and I've slowly but surely been getting away from Facebook. The negativity (and fakeness) there is just too much for me to handle right now.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Need to say, I also was staying away from TV, and radio, and just living in the past, or where I wanted to be. I was blamed for so many things, even the guy in the White House, and I just closed out the world. And I was doing fine.

I remember last month, I started to help out a cousin of mine. He didn't even know who was running for President. He had no cable, no internet,no radio, no newpapers, no neighbors to talk to, also no transportation. After listening to things that I am hearing now, I want to be my cousin.

I am so tired of hate.

((((hugs)))))
amy
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hear you Amy. I actually found SR last summer because I wanted to find some good news. I like to follow the alcohol classes as these people are being so courageous.

I want to think that if we focus on something we give it more power so I try to stay off the news and look to good things happening. Volunteering is a good way to tune into good stuff. This stuff rarely makes the news.

Irk. I think I need to get off of Facebook too.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm hearing you Bekindalways. I had joined facebook, don't really know why, just wanted to see updated photo's of people close to me. I have never felt so restricted in my life. I couldn't go anywhere, and "like" anything, because it showed up, then I was watching all the political stuff that I didn't want to know about. I had to quit the fb also. Sometimes the cute puppy videos were good.

Just ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) you are terrific

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I noticed I now have an ending signature. I do like that statement. Might not be a Jesse Jackson fan, but just love what this means to me. Also credit MIRecovery for leading me to this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I completely agree with you too Amy.
I actually stopped reading the comments on the online edition of the Seattle Times.
Reading it, you would think that you are in 1950s Alabama not in one of the most liberal cities in the 21st century US.
I think a lot of those people who post hateful stuff are jstu craving any type of attention because their own personal/spiritual life is very small and very arid.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know. All of this political stuff that is coming up in the news is just making my heart sick. All of these states passing stupid laws to hurt people. (That might have been too specific, can delete my post any time you want)

Just want to say that I just like people. Color, religion, origin, sexual preference, don't care. Did I cover all of the racist and other comments that are going on in this country. I am just so tired of all the hatred.

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
amy
Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I posted that one on my FB page
I might get in trouble for it too since it is politically based but it is funny and it reminded me a bit of what they say in AA about pointing the finger and having 3 fingers pointing back at you.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love that about the bathroom issue. Ok run and hide, what is that sh!t about? I guess we northerners been dealing with this for a long time and never had a problem with this. But lets take away peoples rights to pee if they don't do it in the correct place. Or, let's not sell them food...........

Uh huh Carlotta, you got what I am angry about.

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't read papers or watch the news either.

But when I visit my parents, they have the news on 24/7 and it drives me nuts so much, I have to ask them to switch channels! Why would you want to listen to all the bad things going off in the world, over and over again!!! Jeez
Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We shut down planned parenthood. Now teenagers have no place to go for contraceptives. We all know teenagers have sex. Now there is a fetus. Have to let that baby grow that no one can support, and they are closing down welfare help for this. Or you are raped. Well, you know that if you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't have become pregnant. According to some knowlegdable non doctors, you only conceive a child when you are enjoying the act. So, if you are raped you enjoyed it.

This is where the world is at today.

Back in the 1950's.

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OK, without mentioning political parties, perhaps we can talk about what we need in our country.

amy