Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 2

Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Grateful for planning a vacation with my family!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Less than 24 hours, that's so sad! We are learning a lot about fostering & adopting pets now that DD is volunteering at our local no-kill shelter. You are doing such an amazing, loving act of kindness!

DD is thinking about veterinary medicine for her career path & wanted to figure out if it's what she thinks it might be before tracking toward that college-wise. "cuz, ya know mom, that's like a minimum of EIGHT years of college, right?" Yes, she's 11.

Volunteering seemed like the best way to get a good look at the reality in a lot of ways & they recently revamped the program to involve the Jr Volunteers more. I talked to their director about letting the kids (who are interested) attend some of the medical procedures that they do on-site at their clinic. We also discussed bringing in guest speakers for the kid's monthly meetings - like large animal vets - and getting them starting on horticulture projects like planting some catnip (to make our own cat toys) or indigenous plants around the property. They are also old enough to start/participate in fundraisers at their schools for things that they always need like old blankets & comforters, washer/dryers, towels, cleaning supplies, etc. This shelter goes through $30K monthly just in vet/medical costs between care & medications & they receive no federal funding. Every little bit helps!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

FS, one of my high school friends became a vet. It is a lot of schooling, for sure, and the student loans that come out of it are pretty huge. Basically, you're in school just as long as a doctor, but when you finish you make SUBSTANTIALLY less than a doctor. It sounds like your DD has a lot of resources available to her to answer questions, which is so important for kids considering careers like that.

Yes, the pup is back with me, and the plot has thickened. My DD16 found a Facebook post from the would-be adopter's teenage daughter, where she basically said that although they didn't have the "diagnosis" confirmed by a vet, they think the dog has a whole huge laundry list of health problems--many of them contagious--and that they didn't want the dog to infect the girl's OTHER dog, who lives with her dad. Needless to say, neither of them uttered a single word to us about thinking the dog was sick. For people who claim to be worried about the dog's health, they certainly didn't pass on any concerns to us so we could have them checked out. And, they KNOW I have a dog, so these claims of wanting to protect a dog from catching a contagious illness apparently don't apply to MY dog. The vast majority of health problems they "diagnosed" are clearly not present, and I'm going to watch the pooch closely for the next few days to see if is snuffliness is a respiratory infection as opposed to just the general snuffliness that certain breeds tend to have. The rescue is all in a tizzy about the whole thing. They have banned this woman from their Facebook page, and the founder has circulated a notice to other rescues in the area to be wary of them. We are of the opinion that they thought they could get a picture perfect dog through rescue for a fraction of the "price." Which just isn't going to happen with rescue dogs--especially dogs coming out of puppy mills.

I will say that I am VERY grateful for my recovery tools today. They have enabled me to keep my focus on doing what's right for the foster dog, instead of being incredibly furious (to the point it impairs my ability to function normally) with people I have no control over (and will never even have contact with again). Recovery makes it so much easier to just be mad at them, but still go about my business and keep productivity and the dog's best interests in the forefront.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good to know W, thanks. I have a friend-of-a-friend that is a Vet in another state so I think I can always set her up with a Skype call if we get that far in the process.

Between you all & me, I don't think this will be her "forever" dream... but I know it's a baby-stepping-stone to getting there.

Since she's looking at Cornell & University of Pennsylvania already I can tell she's setting her sights high & I'm ok with that since she's also already got her eye on what kinds of scholarships are available.

Go big or go home, as they say, right? She's already looking at dual-enrollment in high school with both our local college & Cambridge University as part of the Cambridge program she's participating in now. She could, in theory, graduate high school with her Associates in both programs & start working on her BA/BS right after graduation, literally weeks shy of turning 18. That seriously blows my mind.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

FS, I have a friend with a similarly-high-achieving DD. She just turned 16 last fall, and is graduating from high school in two months--a full two years early. She will be enrolling in college in the fall, over 1,000 miles away from home. I have known many, many parents who push their gifted children way too hard. I was always deeply grateful that my parents turned down the offer to have me skip fourth and fifth grade--my already delicate social development would have been destroyed. But I can tell you that this friend's daughter...the daughter is totally driving the bus on this. Her parents are just along for the ride--making sure she gets to Place A or Location B for this or that extracurricular activity or volunteer opportunity. When your kid is driven like that, I think you are absolutely right to support her dreams, whatever they may be TODAY, or TOMORROW.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You know what? I REALLY needed to hear that. I can't thank you enough!

If anything, I've been pushing her to slow down a lot lately. This last Saturday I semi-forced her to go have fun even though she had some homework to get done..... we had a long discussion about what it really means to "Sharpen the Saw". Her 3rd quarter report is unbelievable - 6/8 classes at 100% or higher with extra credit. Her lowest grade is a 96; she has always loved learning & it comes easily to her so far.

She is definitely driving allllllll of this. My job is just helping her to connect the dots, provide transportation & listen when she's pondering decisions. (Big one right now: Which electives to take next year?? Should she get a head-start on learning a 2nd language or should she take something completely new just for the exposure? Decisions, decisions.....)

She's incredibly talented in the arts - singing & acting - and I can absolutely see her happily working in that field just as easily as I can see her in a lab coat researching cancer cures. Since our high schools are geared very differently (one very artsy, one very academic) she's smart to start this now so that she can aim for the right HS as her next step.

Do any of you wonder why she NEEDED to learn meditation, yoga & the value of regular acupuncture treatments?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Soooo happy for $5 Groupon sale days. I scored a simple flat-iron & an attachable bike bag for DD. $15/shipped, woohoo!

I stockpile deals like this all year for birthdays/Christmas/easter baskets/whatever.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I love this thread. Healthyagain, I know that feeling. After years of half-@rsed practice, I finally started REALLY meditating . Its now really central to my recovery but I have to practice everyday, or that feeling goes away.

My Easter baskets are done! I'm looking forward to this holiday because I love to cook and this year I'm hosting a pretty big group. Family and a few friends who don't have family around. All in all, I'm expecting nearly 40 people
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Grateful for ma dad today. My emotional roller coaster's rises and falls are getting farther and fewer between after his passing. Tonight, i'm busting out his old rocket kit and building a couple to launch for him when we sprinkle his ashes.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

What a great idea, firebolt! I'd feel certain he'll be there with you, helping you build those rockets...
Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Cold, windy and rainy outside today. I just got done taking care of my houseplants, and I'm grateful that most of them have made it thru the low light, lack of humidity and chilly temps that go along w/winter in my house. The African violet lived thru the winter--can you believe it? And the spider plant is putting out its first "baby." *****!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Grateful to be doing my weekend trip list for the year-lots of hikes around Texas, camping, fishing, coast time and hopefully hunting at the end if this year-oh, and runs and races some of those weekends too! When the girls get a couple years older, we will be doing mission trips for vacations and exploring the world to help others and hopefully cultivate a healthy appreciation for how blessed they are (and not with material things). Not a Disney trip family here!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

When the girls get a couple years older, we will be doing mission trips for vacations and exploring the world to help others and hopefully cultivate a healthy appreciation for how blessed they are (and not with material things).
Very cool, FoG!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Today, I'm grateful for the two amazing things that happened yesterday when I needed it the most:

1. With yesterday's mail came an Easter card from my aged neighbors. I wans't expecting that.
2. When I got to the metro, the ticket machine that takes debit and credit was broken. A lady insisted to pay for my ticket so I wouldn't have to go back out and look for an ATM. That lady brought tears to my eyes.

Those two simple actions lifted my heart when I needed it the most.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Grateful to not wake up to a house w/o power this AM, since I see there is ice covering every outdoor surface....
Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Holy crap, HP! Amazing how a 30-40 mile difference impacts the weather. No ice at all down here; just rain. We'll see if the temps drop here today, though...things may be ugly tonight.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, after reading the last couple of posts, I'm just happy that I don't have ice/ freezing rain/ cold to deal with today.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

^ um, ditto. I'm a heat person-can't do cold for extended periods of time.

Today I'm grateful that my slacks are super long bc I totally grabbed brown nylons instead of black this morning (and it doesn't look good!!)Yikes. Perils of getting dressed early in the dark! Honestly grateful I have a job to go to and clothes to wear so that I can have these types of fashion disasters #firstworldproblems
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

As I live in the land of the cold and snow, I will have to admit that I'm particularly greatful that snow seems to be over for this year! Yippeeeee!!!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Grateful for fam time this Easter weekend.