Husband Making Amends...Just started program

Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Right, and there was probably an element of that going on (as I said, feeding the ego if nothing else). The point is, at two weeks, the alcoholic is still wrapped up in the haze of the alcohol and not exercising good judgment about how it would make his partner feel, for example.

Hopefully this was just one of those stupid things that the newly sober sometimes do, and not a signal that this is how he will behave once he's truly recovered. I've seen (and committed) a lot acts of idiocy in early sobriety that would never be committed after a good period of solid recovery.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It is not uncommon for the newly sober to be highly remorseful with some running around making unsupervised amends.

But, it is also not uncommon for alcoholics to tell untruths...........
More will be revealed, certainly
Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ok....well, I've read all these posts and I'm still pissed!!

The ONLY PERSON he should be making amends to is his wife who has had to endure his BS. What is this guy going to pull the "alcoholic" and "recovery" card every time he gets caught doing something that he SHOULDNT be doing? It's sad and it's pathetic. My sympathy for his "issue" goes just so far....( not far at all ).
I am so sorry this is happening to you K. This should be a happy, expectant and joyful time in your life. Get yourself thru this pregnancy without as much stress as you can ( I know it's hard ) and once you've settled in with your newborn then start dealing with this. You need to take care of you right now.
Sorry for the rant but I feel your pain.
Ro
Old 12-26-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kwatabum, I'm new here, but I do have a BS detector. Here's my take for what it's worth. Your DH gets a DUI, he's ashamed, you're pissed, he's not feeling that good about himself right now. Ex-girlfriend is pursuing him on social media. (Flattering!!) She still thinks he's great (no knowing about his recent issues), and he would like someone to tell him he's great along about now, and so hey, why not "make amends." It was a selfish move on his part (but addicts are selfish) and not kosher and he knows it. Which is why you're getting beat with the "you're not being supportive" stick. It is to fend off your own very righteous "why are you having lunch in a pub with another woman when you have a pregnant wife at home and a DUI hanging over your head" stick. Kind of a sick "best defense is a good offense" approach.
I'm not going to offer any advice - I'm too new - but I hope you will not fall into the "you make me drink/ you're gonna make me drink/ you made me drink" pit. As someone else put it, you didn't pour the alcohol down his throat.
I wish you peace and a happy, healthy new baby.