what is our legal liability?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is our legal liability?

if you child is 21, the car is registered in their name and their insurance policy is in their name alone, can the parents be held liable for any injuries/death as a result of the family member drinking & driving or negligence?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't see how you could if your child is an adult and owns the car. Hope it doesn't happen though.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you allow the child to leave your home drunk then you can be liable. Just like if you have a party and a guest leaves drunk.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really.....? Doesn't that apply in situations where you were the one serving the alcohol?

dandylion
Old 09-29-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had this conversation with my agent back when I was with my alcoholic. If you know they have a drinking problem, and you don't advise them and something happened where someone is damaged, the insurance carrier would consider you negligent. If you did not make them aware of a known circumstance that places them at undue risk, then yes your life can be changed.

Also, is the child living with you? If yes then if you have assets, and there is an accident, they will figure out how to come after yours.

I would recommend an umbrella policy. They are relatively cheap and give you plenty of cushion should god forbid something like this happens.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Easy does it people. Only a lawyer, licensed in the relevant jurisdiction, can give legal advice. Please limit your replies to your personal experience, nothing more.

Turtleneckie? You need to ask a lawyer in your state for a specific answer.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Turtleneckie117 View Post
if you child is 21, the car is registered in their name and their insurance policy is in their name alone, can the parents be held liable for any injuries/death as a result of the family member drinking & driving or negligence?
Doubtful, unless you are somehow otherwise at fault like by serving them alcohol or supplying them with drugs.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I don't see how you could if your child is an adult and owns the car. Hope it doesn't happen though.
That's what I'm thinking. As mentioned if the parents are sued it's for another issue other than a standard accident insurance claim.

I try to tell the naive enabler here be extremely careful when loaning their vehicle to the alkie/addict. Especially at night or late afternoon because he's said he's going for takeout and comes back three hours later. No matter how innocent it seems or how short a time it's simply not worth the risk. I still don't what the heck these people who loan him a vehicle for weeks at a time are thinking.