Citizen of a tribe? There's tribal help!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Citizen of a tribe? There's tribal help!

It is very difficult to find a decent job when you've been a stay-at-home mom for 23 years and no work experience other than that and home educating your sons.

What I have learned, and hope this is helpful to others who may not be aware, is that if you're a citizen of a tribe there are many resources through many of the tribes to help you get on your feet. If you find yourself in a dangerous position, there may be relocation help and temporary job placement as well as child care available to you.

I'm a member of the Cherokee Nation and I'm just learning about several different programs via career services, One Fire, etc. They provide job placement, vocational training and college scholarships to citizens.

Another thing I learned is if you are a member of a federally recognized tribe you may be able to attend college for free at Haskell University.

Hope that is a help to someone!! It sure has my wheels turning.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow...what awesome info!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Recently we have been doing geneology of the family and were amazed to find quite a bit of ancestral native american heritage. Who would have thought that? My siblings and I are snow flake pale with light eyes and red hair. I have a great grandfather listed on the Dawes Rolls as a member of the Chickasaw nation, and another on my Dad's side listed as Cherokee nation.

In addition to what you listed there are also monies set aside for native Americans for opening businesses - its worth looking into Katchie there is a lot of opportunity! Sounds very exciting for you.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I wish I had a tribe! Glad you've found some support Katchie, I bet you'll make an awesome employee.