The Language of Letting Go, May 18

Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, May 18

May 18

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Don't stop living your life!

So often, when a problem occurs, inside or around us, we revert to thinking that if we put our life on hold we can positively contribute to the solution. If a relationship isn't working, if we face a difficult decision, if we're feeling depressed, we may put our life on hold and torment ourselves with obsessive thoughts.

Abandoning our life or routines contributes to the problem and delays us from finding the solution.

Frequently the solution comes when we let go enough to live our life, return to our routine, and stop obsessing about the problem.

Sometimes even if we don't feel like we have let go or can let go, we can act as if we have, and that will help bring about the letting go we desire.

You don't have to give up your power to problems. You can take your focus off your problem and direct it to your life, trusting that doing so will bring you closer to a solution.

Today, I will go on living my life and tending to my routine. I will decide, as often as I need to, to stop obsessing about whatever is bothering me. If I don't feel like letting go of a particular thing, I will act as if I have let go of it until my feelings match my behavior.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

free photo hosting
Old 05-18-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Boy, this post really resonates w/me. I have done this so many times, where everything else comes to a grinding halt while I try to force a solution to one particular problem. And it is SO true about how the answer so often comes when you've finally thrown up your hands and let go of the issue.

"Let go or be dragged", one of my favorite sayings!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I shared this today with my supervisor. She is going thru some really tough times. Although her problems are not related to alcohol this hit home for her. She printed it out to put on her fridge , after she cried a small river :-)

This is just beautiful and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share these every day.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for these daily readings. They mean a lot!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This one hits the spot today, in a way that is almost sort of painful. It's like my brain doesn't want to let go of the problem I am currently dwelling on, even though I am completely miserable dwelling on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is my pleasure to post these, and I'm so glad that you find them useful, my friends.