potential boyfriend who is a heavy drinker

Old 03-17-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes you did the right thing.

Originally Posted by Tuesday1969 View Post
About two years ago I met a guy and we became very good friends. Kind of like Elaine and jerry on Seinfeld, helping each other with our respective dating woes etc.

During that time I kind of knew he drank a bit, as sometimes, I'd get drunk messages and heaps and heaps on any one night with none making sense. But I wasn't really concerned as I wasn't romantically involved with him until about a week ago when we just kind of realised that we had something. He is 44.

Recently he found out he had to move, and because i had a spare room and he was desperate, I decided to offer it to him. And he was going to move in in early April .

We slept together for the first time this weekend just gone and I felt really happy, he was really happy too , everything was great.

Then last night he texted and called me, drunk, wanting me to come over immediately and go out and "party" . I said look I can't just drop everything and come in 5 minutes and he ended up hanging up on me. He has done this before, wants me to drop everything and come over NOW.

I was really angry that he could just call and demand something and then hang up and leave me, not caring about how I felt.

So I decided to drive over as I have a key, and see what goes on when he is like this at home. I let myself in and he was really happy to see me, he was listening to music , pretty much going mental dancing, but he was doing things like spitting on the floor, and then he got naked and was peeing out the window , and then he spilt win all over me. I didn't have much to drink just a few sips as I was driving home soon.

I love a drink and we did get drunk last Friday night and had a fantastic time out dancing at clubs. But I'm not someone who gets plastered at home on a random week night for no reason, and not someone who would get drunk more than once a week. I don't drink much. I probably get "drunk" maybe 3 times a year.

I'm 45" I've done all that in my 20s and early 30s and I just want to be healthy. He has done it too, he spent most of his 20s and 30s as a musician. And it seems like he hasn't left that kind of lifestyle behind.

So it dawned on me last night watching him that this is what I'll be living with. Drunkeness. And I thought, I just can't. So I asked him is this what's going to happen at my place. And he assured me no, it's your house and I wouldn't. But I'm wasn't sure if I believed him. I remember when he lived at his sisters in 2013, he told me they kept saying to him to grow up, and I started remembering I'd get drunken messages from him when he was living there too and then I thought , it's not going to be any different at my house is it?

So I said I am not sure about him moving in, and I said seriously if you are like this every week , I can't have you there. He said oh I only do it maybe once or twice a week, and I just shook my head and left. The discussion went on for about 30 minutes, but stupidly I shouldn't have even brought it up when he was drunk, but I did.

So I left , and left him with the impression that he couldn't move in. Then I got about a hundred text messages all night telling me to "die" , calling me a bitch, swearing at me, calling me names. Etc etc. because I have left him in the lurch with only two weeks now before he has to move out of his flat.

The abuse I got was incredible. And ironic because this is what he is obviously liek when he is drunk, and how could I live with that? How could I believe that he wouldn't be drunk every night? Even one night a week like what I saw last night, I just don't want in my house. Spitting etc.

I did the right thing didn't i? He said such horrible things
Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have accepted the "no" either. Doing those things inside a home, any home, just shows you what he is capable of when he drinks.
And he drinks. So you would have experienced a variety of colourful behaviours I'm sure. You said he is a nice guy but living with someone is a different ball game, you are seeing them at their best, worst and in between.

It's unfortunate that it has turned out like this, but maybe in time he won't be as angry. You saw the red flags and you listened to your gut, that is awesome.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Leaving him in the lurch? How about him living in your home leaving you in shambles?

You deserve better. He needs help. It's not your job.

Please take care of yourself!

Love from Lenina
Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maybear View Post
I wouldn't have accepted the "no" either. Doing those things inside a home, any home, just shows you what he is capable of when he drinks.
And he drinks. So you would have experienced a variety of colourful behaviours I'm sure. You said he is a nice guy but living with someone is a different ball game, you are seeing them at their best, worst and in between.

It's unfortunate that it has turned out like this, but maybe in time he won't be as angry. You saw the red flags and you listened to your gut, that is awesome.
that was my one and only new years resolution- to listen to my gut when it comes to guys and not ignore red flags early on
Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Leaving him in the lurch? How about him living in your home leaving you in shambles?

You deserve better. He needs help. It's not your job.

Please take care of yourself!

Love from Lenina
its not my job but i still feel bad he has nowhere to live

but you are right, my home is peaceful and healthy and his is not. i didnt want him bringing that here
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You absolutely did the right thing.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I did the right thing didn't i?
YES! And good for you I might add!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hey Tuesday, sorry for what brings you here.
Did you do the right thing? a thousand times, hell yes.

And YOU didn't leave him in a lurch. YOU did nothing.
His ridiculous, drunken behaviour is what left him in a lurch. He spit on the floor and peed out the window and somehow this YOUR fault that he now has nowhere to go?
unreal.
You were kind enough in the first place to offer a room to him. He did this himself. Try not to beat yourself up, you deserve so much better than a 45yr old man who spits and pi$$es out the window.
run. fast. and keep running.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good for you! My ex started doing all those things after he moved in with me. Don't feel bad - you were not aware of the extent of his drunk behavior, so I agree with those who say his behavior left him in the lurch.

In my case, the next phase consisted of spitting on me, peeing in the waste basket and wherever he passed out, drunk cooking and almost burning down the house, bringing random strangers to my home in the middle of the night, awful fights, police at my door, etc.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

BUT i feel so awful leaving him in the lurch, having to find somewhere else within 2 weeks, He said he would be out on the streets, really laid the guilt on. I feel like rubbish
Heh. He's a grown man. He'll find a place to live, and he will be just fine. He's just ticked off.

i cut off his avenue to live with me. Because of the spitting and pissing and rowdyness and general drunkeness. It was his day off, but still. It just brings me down
I don't know about you guys, but no normal 45 year olds I know spit on the floor and **** out the window on their days off (or on). I have a "rock and roll" history myself, and the craziest dudes I knew way back when don't do this stuff now, not even close. They grew up. They're drinking craft beers on the weekends, bouncing toddlers on their knees, and reminiscing about the salad days. Peeing and spitting stopped being recreational because they are grown-ups now.

His behavior is outrageous, and you are completely justified if you don't want people partying, spitting, and peeing onto, into, or out of stuff at your house.

He doesn't see that, because he's emotionally and behaviorally limited by his years in the bottle. You won't find understanding there, just the temper tantrum you got when he didn't get his way.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Easy, BLOCK HIM NOW. You are in the prime of your life. Don't waste it on this person. You didn't leave him in the lurch... It's his responsibility to take care of his own housing. Trust everyone on here! Go and have a happy, drama-free life!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

just b/c it was "his day off" doesn't justify his behaviour.
Imagine the chaos and drama you would be inviting into your home with this.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kimmieh View Post
Good for you! My ex started doing all those things after he moved in with me. Don't feel bad - you were not aware of the extent of his drunk behavior, so I agree with those who say his behavior left him in the lurch.

In my case, the next phase consisted of spitting on me, peeing in the waste basket and wherever he passed out, drunk cooking and almost burning down the house, bringing random strangers to my home in the middle of the night, awful fights, police at my door, etc.
Thankyou

I told him that night that I am worried about his behaviour because my sister was/is an alcoholic (I don't speak to her). When she was married about 15 years ago, her husband told me she would urinate in the clothes cupboard.... Drunks are grotty. I didn't tell him about that but as I was watching him I was thinking about it

That must have been awful for you, and scary.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
hey Tuesday, sorry for what brings you here.
Did you do the right thing? a thousand times, hell yes.

And YOU didn't leave him in a lurch. YOU did nothing.
His ridiculous, drunken behaviour is what left him in a lurch. He spit on the floor and peed out the window and somehow this YOUR fault that he now has nowhere to go?
unreal.
You were kind enough in the first place to offer a room to him. He did this himself. Try not to beat yourself up, you deserve so much better than a 45yr old man who spits and pi$$es out the window.
run. fast. and keep running.
I am starting to think maybe he is being kicked out of his flat for other reasons besides what he told me which was 'they just want the place back"

Maybe not paying rent, and probably his drunkeness.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Why feel guilty for leaving him to find his own way?

What 44 year old man has put himself in the position to not be able to afford to move on his own or to get a hotel room? I'm sorry, but the drunken behavior is merely a symptom of a grown ass man who needs to learn to be a grownup. He should be able to take care of his most basic needs - like housing!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sorry to tell you, but there is only ONE guy. There are no split personalities there, although many many women talk about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It is just the ugly face you had to see when his addiction got endangered.

But you know what? You are so prudent for not letting this potential guy deeper into your heart. Because, what they leave is a wasteland.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Wow - definitely made the right decision and I agree with all that has already been said! Stay smart and strong.

The amount of abusive texts he sends - goodness - it would be totally reasonable for you to block his number if you want to and not feel a shred of guilt about it. That is crazy, mean, and not acceptable by any standard.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I read your entire post, but I did not need to read past sentence 2 to offer you a suggestion. Get out now. it's not worth the pain and suffering. This is easier said than done. But if I've learned anything, these things do not get any better, they get worse.

"left him with the impression"... you have to be clear. The addict will manipulate you to the point where you think those words meant you should definitely move in together. You are seeing clear through the red flags, use that knowledge to make the healthiest decision!!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I did the right thing didn't i? He said such horrible things
absolutely!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think you made a very good decision- well several of them. Don't date the guy, don't let him move in with you and don't feel guilty. If he was like this now, he would probably only get worse as time went on.