Relapsing Codependent

Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, I can really relate to your posts. So similar, it's scary.

P.s. I just want to add that you seem very intelligent, very enlightened and very loving. I am positive that many see you the same! Also, I am feeling very unlikable lately which I think is creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Does that make sense to anyone?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosalba View Post
I very rarely make blanket statements, but I can confidently state that none of us, NONE of us, can claim a straightforward recovery. There have been times when I've felt I was starting at the beginning all over again, but this is actually part of the process. Please don't beat yourself up! In fact, quite the reverse - let yourself know that you're doing very well. It sounds as though you're bravely struggling with a situation openly acknowledged as highly stressful, and doing it on your own. Going for help when you need it is a sign of strength rather than weakness, and having few friends - but possibly a deeper connection with them - is normal. With someone like yourself, who has a long history of caring and giving, it can feel very uncomfortable to ask for support for yourself. I was scared of therapy in the beginning, fearing that it would show me up for even more of a problem than I already thought I was, but quickly realised that all the things which could be safely thrown overboard - guilt, allowing myself to be bullied and manipulated, persistent anxiety and constant pressure - were all HORRIBLE. My therapist was making suggestions along the lines of doing something nice for myself, purely for myself, every day. It gets easier with practice! We all do our best, depending on where we're at. Sometimes just getting out of bed can be a huge effort - and it's OK to congratulate ourselves when we do, and that's all that can manage. (((HUGE HUGS)))
Rosalba, Thank you SO much for all of that. I am touched by your kindness and compassion. I want you to know that I made my realtor deal with something this morning I was going to do, and I am now getting a pedicure instead. My feet were starting to look like I had walked the Sahara desert barefoot. I was really stuck and everyone on SR helped me so much--in one day! This is really an amazing place.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingMe2 View Post
Wow, I can really relate to your posts. So similar, it's scary. P.s. I just want to add that you seem very intelligent, very enlightened and very loving. I am positive that many see you the same! Also, I am feeling very unlikable lately which I think is creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Does that make sense to anyone?
I do think we get back what we put out there. So I guess if we are radiating unhappiness with ourselves, people will avoid us, unless of course they are codies who want to fix us. Healthy, happy people gravitate towards other healthy, happy people. I seem to attract the depressed and mentally ill.

I've been thinking a lot about what energy i project. I think I expect people to have the same level of intuition as I do, and be able to see through my reserve. I'm starting to see that maybe they can't, and they just think I'm aloof and cold. I always smile and try to project warmth, but maybe my fear of people is what comes through the most.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As you learn to love yourself more, and create a nourishing environment for yourself, the image you project to other people will take care of itself, I promise you!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great post! I am codependent and relate in so many ways. Detachment helps but I can easily slip back into full codie mode if I'm not careful. I'm also a caretaker. If someone needs me I'm there. Lots of times I feel depleted because I give way more than I get back in return.