The dream, the reality, and the alternative

Old 01-16-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dream, the reality, and the alternative

"Man, I had a rotten day today," I say as I set my purse down on the kitchen island.

"I spilled my coffee all over me this morning in the car, my boss was acting like a jerk, subway put WAY to much sauce on my sandwich, and my tire was super low when I left work," I explain as I plop down in a kitchen chair.

"I'll look at that tire tomorrow morning before I leave and take the air compressor to it in case it's low again," my husband says with a smile as he leans down to kiss my forehead.
"I told you that you wouldn't regret letting me get that compressor!" he jokes.

"And by the way, I think that coffee stain looks fabulous on you! Don't worry about your boss, you'll probably have her job in a few years anyway."

He kisses my lips and tells me what he bought for dinner. (we always cook together). I slip on my apron and tie his in the back for him and we start cutting the produce. I ask him about his day. They finally got the house done that they had been working on all summer.
"I'm so proud of you. You're making quite the reputation in this town for building beautiful houses! Good job, love" I say as I wrap my arms around him.
"Thanks, I love you so much" he says with a smile.
"And I love you" I say back.
"Should we tell the kids we're having worms on a stick tonight for dinner?" he jokes
"We told them that last night", I exclaim.
" Well, we KNOW it's their FAVORITE meal!"

The dream

"I had a horrible day today." I say as I set my wallet down on the counter. I realize I'm talking to an empty room. Looking around, I see the kids in the living room.
"where is your dad?" I ask
"In your guys bedroom," replies my youngest, still staring at the tv.

I walk into the bedroom and see him sitting on the bed with a joint in one hand and a beer in the other.
"It's like 4 in the afternoon, isn't is a bit early to be hitting all that?" I ask, instantly pissed.

"Ha!" he laughs," It's never too early. I wanted to do this like 9 hours ago." His words slur and his red eyes are glossy.

"Ok, well I've had a really bad day and I just want to eat, watch a movie, and go to bed." I say with clear and utter disgust.

"Fine, I'll stay out of your way." he barks back and chugs the rest of his beer.
I walk out of the bedroom and hear him crack another beer open as I close the door. My face flushes and tears well up in my eyes as I quickly dart to bathroom to cry silently and alone. Once I'm all dried up, I tell the kids that I don't feel well and ask if they can just have ramen or mac n cheese for dinner tonight because I don't feel like cooking.

The reality

"Guys, I'm hoooommmme!" I holler as I set my wallet down on the kitchen counter.

"It doesn't look like chores got done yet and I've had a really rotten day, so I would not like to argue about this" I holler again. I look around and see 5 kids burst into action.

"Why was your day bad, mom?" asks my concerned 9 year old son.

"Oh it was just hectic and my boss was driving me crazy! How was your day June Bug?" ( that is my nickname for him.) He goes on to tell me all about him and his buddies playing football.

Then my two youngest daughters come into the kitchen and start telling me all about the girl drama at school as I unload the groceries.

"Whats for dinner tonight?" asks my eldest son who strolls in the kitchen.

"worms on a stick" I say with a serious face.
"We had that last night," he smarts back
"Well I know it's your favorite meal, so I did it because I love you" I say with a sarcastic smile. "How was school today?" I ask him. Then he goes on to tell me all about his day while I make dinner (not worms on a stick, for the record).
After eating and baths, we all sit down to watch our favorite show on Amazon. We joke, we laugh, I break up a few petty arguments. Then it's time for bed.
"I love you guys so much" I say when telling them goodnight.
"I love you too" they reply. We all feel safe, we all feel secure.
We all feel loved.

"Mom?" asks my eldest as I begin to close his door.
"hmm" I answer
"Can we have worms on a stick tomorrow too?" he laughs
"Sure, but you're making it this time."

The alternative

---Just needed to vent about this tonight---- gotta admit, the alternative sounds an awful lot like the dream.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, FreeToSmile!
You are a very gifted author.
I thought about writing a short story entitled "The Quackingtons."
Maybe we should collaborate? Might make a decent Broadway play.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about this for the alternative

You just got home today, and put your purse on the counter. You really had a rough day, AH calls you and you don't want to pick up the phone but you do.

He's still questioning you about what you did while he was in rehab.

You tell him, I can't pick you up tomorrow. I had a flat tire, the tire has a hole in it the size of the Grand Canyon, I had to ride home on the tire rim. We don't have the money to replace the tire rim and the tire, perhaps you can go and stay at the Salvation Army for about 6 months or a year.

I'm thinking about you fts. I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Different Stories, Different Choices.

As here, with your own life -- YOU are your own author.

Choose your story wisely.

Dunno. Here is what I am hearing, but do not fully understand what it means

You can not have Good, until you let go of Bad.