Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

"Dont Get Fooled Again" Red Flags of Narcissist Relationships

"Dont Get Fooled Again" Red Flags of Narcissist Relationships

Old 12-13-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is just us chickens, here.....discussing the various aspects of narcissism in a general discussion kind of way. I don't believe that anyone is labeling anyone as Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Ain't no harm meant, I don't believe.

dandylion
Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's the point Lexie

No drugs, no booze problem... No low self esteem issues.

Just a massive ego / overload of self esteem. Narcissism.

He is a self confessed and well renowned control freak and again a self confessed and well renowned tantrum thrower when people disagree with or disobey his way of doing things.

He doesn't have to be diagnosed... Its as obvious as the fake boobs all his girlfriends have.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, shutterbug, very much for sharing something you found helpful.

If, however, it continues to devolve into personal attacks of public figures, it will have to be closed--and I really don't want that to happen.

Back to the original topic, please.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think what bothers me the most about this topic is the lack of true understanding of what NPD is. It has become every person's favorite diagnosis for every self absorbed creep without fully understanding it. Everybody can and at times is selfish and self absorbed. The true narcissist always is. They are incapable of intimate relationships, they see others only as tools to serve their self absorbed needs. It is awful. My mother shows very strong narcissistic tendencies. She can't engage in conversations unless she can make it about herself, her reactions, her feelings. She will actually walk away in the middle of a sentence. My sister's and I are her daughter's, grandkids are her grandkids, etc. We aren't referred to by name. We are objects of ownership and only matter in what we do for her or how we take care of her. When she talks to me about my sister's I have to guess which one she is talking about because she doesn't use names.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Personally, I prefer my Life Coaches to be completely naked.
hmmm. We should be in group therapy.

As far as I can tell he was just reading some basic fact. Although I will admit I don't know much about NPD, it didn't seem like he was saying anything overly controversial. Was he? I don't really see that he was doing a lot of "coaching" so maybe he should change his title to "Life Reader", but he seemed to be imparting some useful info. And if his lovely pecks kept a few needful people watching then I say no harm no foul.
Yeah, have watched several of his videos. Mostly just plain, simple, "Anthony Robbins" type stuff. He studies a topic and makes it presentable and conversational. Does not really take a PhD.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by happybeingme View Post
I think what bothers me the most about this topic is the lack of true understanding of what NPD is.
Sure. But understand this is NOT really for or about the NPD, Narcissists, or the AAAAA (Always All About the Alcoholic or Addict). All the crap WE have gotten unfortunately dealing with.

Just enough of that crap is (more than) enough of that crap.

Whole topic is (like HERE and Alanon) is US and not having to deal with that crap, anymore.

My favorite book on the topic . . .

[I have it loaned out about half the time.]

Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get On with Life

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Caretakin.../dp/144222018X
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hammer, that looks like a good book, thank you! I will definitely be checking it out.