Who Knew? A New Marijuana Forum!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in California and have zero interest in smoking pot, ever. And totally agree with Stung. CA's medical marijuana is just a back door way of legalizing it. The resources spent on the ineffective laws against it could be better used for other things.

Having said that, marijuana addiction is real and hurtful. It would be wonderful if part of the tax revenue from selling it legally went to funding for treating all addictions.

An odd result in CO and WA is the pot shops cannot get bank accounts since it's still a Federal crime. The banks won't touch them. So they have enormous amounts of cash on hand, creating a security risk. They have to pay their sales tax in cash so have to physically go to the offices with stacks of cash.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have the question the monetary argument for legalisation. Just because it brings in money should that be justification for legalising something so harmful to society in other ways? Should our laws be about taking a moral stand or about managing an already bad situation? Does the fact that we save money in not locking people up justify decriminalising them and, if so, where does that thinking lead us to? Should we allow stabbing if lots of people do it?

I am not sure I have definitive answers to those questions, but it concerns me that they don't seem to have been discussed in the public domain before llegalisation was decided.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think legalization is ultimately where the whole country is headed and I personally think its a better idea than not. Its illegal now and always has been yet the industry of it has never stopped. There is no way to stop it. Morally I see no difference in it than alcohol. Actually, I do. I would much rather be subjected to someone who is high on marijuana than a drunk any day of the week - that's just my personal feelings others may feel differently.

The tax revenues could dig this country out of debt. Now, if there were a way to stop it - and they chose not to for money - then to me that might be a moral debate. As its never been stopped and is nearly as easy to find and buy as a loaf of bread at the grocery then why not? If there were some "regulation" of the industry we may contain "some" of the criminal element a bit more effectively. I don't think legalization would get rid of all illegal selling but it would certainly make a dent.

As far as saving money by not locking people up, I don't think that is pertinent. Here where I live unless you are dealing there is no locking up. If you get caught with marijuana in your car or home for personal use its a ticket.

Illegal selling would still be a crime. What I would like to see is the laws become much more stringent on the dealers. I don't really see a correlation between stabbing and selling/using marijuana.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a recovery community.

There are members here who struggle daily to overcome an addiction to marijuana just as surely as others struggle with alcohol or other substances.
There are family members and friends who have watched their loved ones struggle with this addiction

Please feel free to continue your discussions and debates of legalization in Private Messages, but in order to be considerate of the daily struggles faced by many of our members, this thread is now closed under this part of Rule 2:
It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.