Partner discharged following seizure

Old 12-03-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Partner discharged following seizure

Bloody hell.. ABF (detoxing) is home but he is not himself; confused, argumentative & agitated.
Hospital discharged with vitamins only - he has already tried to leave. ffs a long night ahead & hoping CMHT & liaison nurse comes in morning.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am guessing that the hospital discharged w/nothing b/c of the high risk of him drinking. There is a huge huge difference between working recovery and just detoxing. If he wants to drink, he is going to. I am sure he is not himself b/c he is miserable wanting to drink.

I hope he admits his issues and gets some very real help. I hope you also get some support.

XXX
Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He admits the problem. It's just he has completely not himself. Clumsy, disoreintated.will see how he is in morning.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The seizure was caused by withdrawal but he has progressively got worse mentally.. Think he needs sectioning & evaluation of psychosis.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sure he does. I know it's hard because they can be a complete mess and then go to the doctor and sound like the most sane being that ever lived. I know here in the US it's very hard to get them to do any sort of hold unless the person is willing, which is not often.

I am very sorry you are going through this.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Catereta, a person who is in withdrawl and is in a state of confusion and agitation constitutes a medical emergency situation. Having already had seizures makes this of even more concern. Contact some medical providers as to what to do.
I don't suggest that you take o n this all by yourself.

I know that your medical system in England is different than here, in the U.S.

Good luck....

dandylion
Old 12-03-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If the seizure is caused purely by alcohol withdrawal it's a medical issue, not a mental health one in the first instance. The 28-day section (Section 2) is there for observation because there are several medical conditions, for example, undiagnosed diabetes which can present as psychosis - but treatment with antipsychotic meds would be completely inappropriate. As it would be for your guy.

Have they given him chlordiazepoxide to ease his symptoms?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Libruim given in hospital.. Has some random neuro damage - perfusion in mri wonky.
Still hallucinating :/
Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, my! Catareta, it must be nearly 2:30 a.m. there!! Have either of you been able to get any rest?

I'm so sorry....when my stepson went through the worst of his DTs, he had to be strapped into his hospital bed for fear he would hurt himself.

If he has another seizure can you call, well, what is the UK equivalent of 911?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, this sounds terrifying for you. And very strange they've discharged him when he's in this state.

Once the immediate emergency is over, you need to ask yourself if you really want to live your life like this - because unless he makes the decision that he doesn't want to go through this again, that's what will happen.

Reading your other threads... well done on coming to terms with an eating disorder - not an easy thing to do. However, I know that when I considered myself 'damaged goods' - very traumatic adolescence, and much therapy and personal work as an adult - I felt that I had no right to walk away from situations with damaged people who incidentally were damaging me. Almost as if I owed it to them to be there, despite the fact that I was enduring abuse and they were doing nothing to alleviate the situation.

I get that the next 48 hours are going to be hell for you, and I wish you all the very best with that... but, ultimately, you are responsible for your own well being first and foremost.

(((HUGS)))
Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Catereta, a person who is in withdrawl and is in a state of confusion and agitation constitutes a medical emergency situation. Having already had seizures makes this of even more concern. Contact some medical providers as to what to do.
I don't suggest that you take o n this all by yourself.

I know that your medical system in England is different than here, in the U.S.

Good luck....

dandylion
Hope you had some help with this-your b/f's symptoms do sound like severe withdrawl-dt's which does constitute a medical emergency.I can't understand why he was discharged unless he went against medical advice as not thinking clearly.How awful-I hope things are ok for you both.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thought I'll throw out there--has his blood been tested for liver damage? My second husband had liver damage, which can cause elevated levels of ammonia in the blood, which causes something called "hepatic encephalopathy." He was confused and would stumble and stagger around. Mentally, he was like an Alzheimer's patient. He would repeat stuff and forget what I just said.

He had already detoxed and hadn't had a drink in at least a few weeks when this started.