Domestic Abuse in Public - A Social Experiment

Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Domestic Abuse in Public - A Social Experiment

Warning: This video may be hard to watch, even though it is done by actors. I also think it is important to realize that there is domestic abuse on both sides. While most people think of domestic abuse as being male against female, there is also abuse happening female toward male. This video shows how the public in general perceives domestic abuse...

Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow--not only did no one help while the young man was being abused--but people were SMILING, amused by it. What an eye opener.

Stepping in to help is admirable, but people still need to be safe. A young lady in our community was shot and killed last year by her co-worker's abusive husband...she was trying to protect her co-worker after the husband's drunken night out.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yeah.

Can tell you what most of the other guys were thinking . . . Glad that Crazy Bytch is on HIS ass and not on mine.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Abuse is wrong, regardless if it's being perpetrated on a woman or a man. Society needs to get past the point where they think a man being abused by a woman makes him a wimp. It doesn't. Abuse is wrong. Period.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

People are stunned to see a woman attacking a man, because historically, it's been the other way around. The ones who are actually smiling are delighting in seeing a woman attack a man for a change because of all the abuse that women take from men.

They think a man can physically defend himself from a woman, whereas a woman would need physical defense training to overcome the strength of the man.

Of course, those aren't excuses, and it's still abuse. So why did the phenomenon of Diffusion of Responsibility occur only in the woman attacking the man situation? It's perceived as an anomaly still? Also, notable is that this is a social experiment in a crowd of people. If you polled those same people asking them whether they'd consider a woman hitting and attacking a man abusive, I'll bet you'd see a discrepancy.

Just my thoughts...

Abuse is abuse, no matter the age or gender.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With today's conceal and carry being so prevalent and people seeking opportunities to play Dirty Harry, I'm not sure id intervene. Just like I don't flip off road ragers or mess with them other than occasionally I blow them a kiss.. Being the wife of an A, I steer clear of people who might not be thinking clearly or with a full deck. I'm not even particularly confident in cops to tell you the truth.

In my book assault is punching, kicking, tackling, slaps across the face, dragging, pulling a weapon. I'd probably walk right by both scenarios... Not trusting cops I am unlikely to call them for slapping and hollering.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

CodeJob, good point. I'm with you there... I'd never attempt to approach them in either situation. A quick phone call to the cops is the safe thing to do.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know. I look at it this way...If I saw someone abusing a puppy or a kitten, I wouldn't hesitate to interfere, regardless of what might happen to me. How could I live with myself if I didn't interfere with someone abusing another person? I may be living in lala land to you guys, but I wouldn't be able to just walk past something like that.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of those people walking away might be dialing 911 on their cell phones too.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This is true, Jennie, but the main thrust of this video is that people are more apt to get involved if it is a woman being abused. When a man is being abused, they tend to smirk or feel like what is happening is not as big a deal. Do you think any of those people waking past were calling 911 for the guy being abused?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I stated what my thoughts on it were already, and it's possible cops were called in both situations, yes. I would've reached for my cell to call cops in both situations, so if I would do that, others must be capable of it as well.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, I read your thoughts. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness. This was a huge eye opener for me. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is so very sad, in both instances. Made me very sad, even knowing it is acting.... it is still so sad, as this is happening to people daily.