Is this quacking??

Old 09-07-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Is this quacking??

So separated AH contacted me today. Dd had approached him about his apparently partying in a nightclub and she was so angry. He told me it wasn't true. I told him I didn't care what he was doing as long as it didn't impact on the kids. I think he was shocked at my response and he asked if I was ok. I told him I was and that what he did was none of my business anymore that I was moving on with my life!!

A while later he texted me to say he had been reading up on what the body goes through when you stop drinking and how he can make a self referral to the addictions counsellor through work, but hasn't yet but is preparing for giving up drinking but can't make any promises or guarantees. If he's feeling low over drink he will contact them. He says he knows how and what to do just that he doesn't know if he can!

Is he quacking trying to draw me back in??
Old 09-07-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Oh and he was drinking heavily yesterday so is this the shame & guilt talking? I did feel my hopes getting up when he told me then I had to remind myself how many times has he said this before!!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Butterfly......I really have to laugh.....when he asked if you were "o.k."
An alcoholic can sense it when we REALLY began to detach from them.

When I started to detach from the quacking of my adult son....all the kids were wondering....."what is wrong with mom?" I almost laughed my ring off!

He could well be quacking and trying to suck you back in. Even if he is serious in his own mind......time will eventually tell you. Talk is cheap; actions tell the tale.

Good for you...the way you handled the nightclub thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dandylion
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

preparing for giving up drinking
Quack quack.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Thank you and yes your right time will tell if he is genuine or not. Actions not words is my new mantra!!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Probably Butterfly! Oh well just a little swell of wind to float upon!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would say quacking.

Oh Butterfly, if you only knew how many times I was asked if I were ok since Friday.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If he's feeling low over drink he will contact them.
How open-ended can you get? IF he's feeling low over drink. In other words he's not low enough to change.

He says he knows how and what to do just that he doesn't know if he can!
That actually sounds honest although "wanting to" comes before "can". He just doesn't want to quit enough to make the effort.

Sorry Butterfly, I know it hurts. Hang in there. Actions not words like everyone else said.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Thank you everyone. I have to keep telling myself do to get ur hopes up he's not committing to anything. Wait and see as they say time will reveal more!!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

If he were really wanting to quit, he wouldn't be "preparing." He'd already have either gone to rehab or AA, or made the arrangements to get a bed in rehab. An alcoholic at bottom will get help any way they can, and wild horses aren't going to stop them. They WANT TO. They understand the urgency of this life and death matter. They aren't flippant and telling you they're just getting their ducks in a row before they quit.