More Manipulation

Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spia View Post
And I still believe in marriage. But I have to learn to be happy and content despite what anyone else is doing in my life. I think I'm addicted to him. The way he is addicted to alcohol. ?
I've heard it said here and elsewhere that marriage is not (or shouldn't be) a mutual suicide pact. I know the vow said "for better and for worse", but I guess I always took that to mean better and worse circumstances, not one partner willfully destroying him/herself, as well as everyone around them, with alcohol or drugs.

I never felt my wedding vows gave my A the right to lie to me, to ignore my needs and desires, to steal money out of our mutual savings and in general to do NOTHING to hold up his end of the bargain. I mean, HE took those vows too, not just me, right?

One person can't make a marriage all on his/her own.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This. My XAH's family actually know about this severe drinking problem and supported me for years. Once I actually kicked him out they acted like I was the devil LOL. That's ok, I recognize it for what it is, just what ladyscribbler said, they are codependent so they take care of him now. Fine w/me.

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
My ex's family vouched for him as well. They had a vested interest in my return because they didn't want to have to take care of him.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This makes me feel like if I don't do it...then he will be disappointed.
Disappointed? Did he disappoint you and care about it? How often did he show concern that he was disappointing you by drinking? Perhaps it's a good idea to tell these
"sources" that you don't care to discuss him........hummmm? We allow ourselves to be manipulated, no one can do it to us without our permission.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh yes, exactly what hopeful said. My A's parents tried to convince me everything was great on her side and I should come home now. When I told them that wasn't what my plans were they no longer supported my decision. They were tired of babysitting and wanted me back in there.
I believe in marriage too but once I saw that I was carrying her half of the marriage as well, I put it down and gave her room to live her life and make her own mistakes. I hope you can find some peace and understanding here.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For myself, it was no longer a marriage. He had left the marriage mentally, just not physically. It took a while to realize that, but once I did I was able to just completely detatch and see things objectively.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spia View Post
I feel like I am being manipulated again. Here is how. I keep hearing from different sources (I hope you are back with AH by such and such date).
Some say Halloween. Some say Christmas.

I have heard he would like for us to be a family and work things out by Christmas.

This makes me feel like if I don't do it...then he will be disappointed. And this makes me feel manipulated.

It also makes me feel like I have a due date that I should be 'healed' by. I hate that feeling. I am not moving back in with AH if and when I start to feel that it is right for us.

IT IS NOT RIGHT!!!
My heart goes out to you. It appears that YOU have to get better? Is this not a partnership where two work together toward a happy life? It sounds like some good couple's therapy would be a good start and take all the pressure off you. I don't think the issues you have as a couple should be all on your shoulders. Good Luck!! and Be Blessed!! Ipanema