The aftermath

Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lillamy-

I ready your thread and I am grateful.

Grateful that you were able to remove yourself and your children from the situation. Grateful that they are still living at home and get a chance to heal with you watching and gently working with them.
Grateful that they are given the room to work recovery at such a young age.
Grateful that you are working your own so they see it can get better.
Grateful taht you are resourced enough that you are sharing emotions with them.

We all have stuff. We all get to work on our stuff. As hard as it is right now I think that it is just that much harder when we carry it for years and years stuffed way down deep for it to ferment and explode. We all get a chance to work on it, but the question is when. As I near the end of my thirties I realize we all have trauma, it is what we choose to do with it that makes us who we are. I don't look at your situation as a failure, but a triumph as they get a chance to do this when they are young. They get a chance to get resourced and through their experience before they got out into the world.

I think they are blessed, not to have been in the situation you were all in, but to be in the situation that they are in now.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm sorry.
I am a different situation, but I understand the guilt, the shame, the anger because I feel it too as a mother. For the way our family was destroyed forever more and the pathetic, selfish reasons why it happened.

I think it is awful, truly awful the feelings we experience as the parent left behind picking up the pieces and the sadness that goes with that. The extra bits of parenthood that you never factor in when your baby arrives and then years later you have to. I don't think anyone ever 'dreams' this existence as a part of their future.

Those that have not gone through it can never fully comprehend.
I wonder when the self blame ends. Does it ever?

I don't hold my head up high in terms of the failure of my relationship, but I hope one day I will be proud of what type of mother I have been and continue to be.

I just have to keep moving forward.
I hope you can too.

I really, really wish you the best xx
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lillamy, we did the best we could with what we had. When I left my wife my SIL said to me "it's about time, I wondered when you would finally have enough".

We are no longer those people, we have grown way beyond what we were. As for your children, they have a shining role model that shows them any adversity can be overcome.

((((Hugs))))

Your friend,
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love you guys. Thank you. For all of that. Encouragement, experience, wisdom. You are the best.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What an insightful child. Listen to her. Guilt does nothing but produce more horrible feelings. You cannot change the past, you can however change the future. You have each other. You are in a better place. You will all get through this.

Much Love and Many Hugs!

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
My youngest -- sometimes, I think the healthiest one -- caught me crying in the car today and she said, "mom, you know what the difference is between survivors and victims? Survivors use their past to propel them forward. Victims use their past to refuse moving ahead."

She's 12. And a whole lot smarter than I am, some days...
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lillamy (and everyone who has responded)--thank you so much for this thread. I am preparing my exit strategy to finally...FINALLY...leave my AH, after he directed his horribleness at my 11-year old daughter from my first marriage. I have spent a lot of time worried about the damage this has inflicted on my daughters, and on the son I share with my AH.

I think about the person I used to be, and the person I became after living with active alcoholism for over four years. I don't want my children to experience that kind of negative transformation. I am so grateful to everyone for sharing these stories and affirmations. It makes a big difference for me today, as things are so volatile and uncertain in my world right now.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, one of the big things that finally pushed me to leave was seeing the person I was becoming. I knew I did not want the negativity in my life, and that the anxiety and walking on eggshells all the time was turning me into a completely different person. It's quite a relief to be me again. I'm not perfect, far from it. However, I am no longer living on the edge all the time, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You are all strong, smart, and wonderful people. Don't ever forget that!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think about the person I used to be, and the person I became after living with active alcoholism for over four years.
Nodding so hard here I think I sprained something in my neck. Yep. And you are all right. Just because our spouse is sick doesn't mean we're healthy. Alcoholism, dammit, is a family disease. And if I can see and have compassion with the alcoholic -- I ought to be able to have compassion with the other sicko in the equation too -- myself.