New and looking for some advice

Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and looking for some advice

Heyy everyone. This is the first time i have ever been on one of these forum things. I really just wanted some advice, i just don't know what to do.

My dad was an alcoholic for the past 15 years, but he stopped last september and hadnt touched a drink since. I was so proud of him, and for once i actually loved being with my family.

Last week, I had come home from college to visit and found my dad drinking again and he was acting exactly like he used to before he stopped. My baby brother stays with him on weekends, and in his drunken state, my dad fed him expired food, giving him food poisoning. Later he was trying to cook while drunk and ended up spilling boiling water all over himself, and was just inches away from my brother. He gave himself severe burns and again, put my brother in danger.

He already lost his job because of the drinking and had to start from the bottom again. His health is in terrible condition. And i honestly had such hopes that things would be turning around. I don't know what to do now. He doesn't listen to me and I am scared to death of what will happen to my brother if this continues.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where is your brother the rest of the time? With your/his mother?
It sounds like he should be there ALL the time.

Your brother is actually in danger here. That puts everything else in second place in the list of priorities. Can you talk to his/your mother, or whoever he is with when he's not with your dad? They may not know how bad the situation is, but they need to.

No child should need to live like that. (((hugs)))
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so so sorry for what brings you here. The disappointment and fear must be huge. I think you will have to do whatever you can do keep your brother out of that situation because he is clearly in danger. Even if you have to hotline your own father, I myself would do so. It's clear your brother needs an advocate.

My heart just breaks for you. Do you attend Alanon or Celebrate Recovery?? That may help you deal with this and get some face to face support.

Tight Hugs.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pia

I'm sorry you are going through this but glad you found SR.

Can you talk to the mother? How old is your brother? Can he call 911 or someone if he needs help?