Losing my right to drive because of AH

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing my right to drive because of AH

Ok, so I was notified by email a week ago that my insurance company was going to drop me because AH has 2 DUIs and no drivers license. Apparently, by law, they cannot just insure me because he can't drive. I was upset with the insurance company and actually called 2 other insurance companies to try and get auto insurance. Once they realized I was still married, they told me they could not legally insure me. I let them know I was in the process of getting divorced. They said once I am legally separated, or divorced they will insure me, but not before that. I called the lawyer immediately after that to get a push on the process. So frustrated!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure where you live, but if in the US, most states have assigned risk pools that will cover high risk drivers. I realize you aren't the high risk - he is, but because you are still legally together, the insurers will consider him as well as you. An assigned risk plan may be a good temporary alternative, although probably pricier than your current plan.

Some states don't allow a company to decline you if his license is currently under suspension (since legally he can't drive so he can't be considered a "driver" on your policy.) Another issue may be whether the car is in your name or his. (again depends on the state) If his, check to see if it makes any difference to title it to you. A quick call to the consumer assistance area of your state's Department of Insurance will provide the answers about what is legal in your state and what alternative insurance you can purchase until the separation is legal. The department's services are free - and often can be helpful. I'm sorry you are going through this trouble.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw on your prior post that your were in IL. If you still are, here is their Assigned risk info and Dept of Insurance contact number:

If You Can't Find Auto Insurance
If you cannot find auto insurance through normal insurance markets because of your driving record or the type of vehicle you own talk to your insurance producer about the Illinois Automobile Insurance Plan . To qualify for auto insurance through the Plan, you must meet four requirements:

1.You must be turned down for auto insurance from other insurance companies.
2.You must have a valid driver's license or be eligible to apply for one.
3.You must not owe an outstanding premium for prior insurance coverage during the past 36 months.
4.Your vehicle must be safe to drive.
The premiums may be higher than premiums of companies in the normal insurance markets. However, if you maintain a good driving record while in the Plan, you should be able to eventually return to a standard company.

For More Information
Call our Consumer Assistance Hotline Toll Free at (866) 445-5364 or visit us on our website at insurance.illinois.gov.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

A lot of people think that nothing their alcoholic spouse does affects them, and that couldn't be further from the truth. If you're the primary on your insurance and your A spouse kills someone while driving drunk, you can be held liable for it. Being married really does a number in certain areas.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prime example of how an alcoholic holds one back from normal everyday activities.

Such a shame that his choices have impacted your life. That's the price we pay for being tied up to an A and that A doesn't necessarily mean Alcoholic.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a broker. Call Progressive or Safeco ins if they have it in your state and ask to exclude your spouse. We do it all the time in MO.

Good luck!

XXX
Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can confirm both of those companies write in IL!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yikes!! I'm sorry.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks! This helps! I will be making some calls to the suggestions in the morning!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't understand though. He won't be driving the car, he has no licence. What's his insurance rating got to do with yours?

Must be different here. My rating is my own, and you just insure the car for you as the only driver. Is the car just in your name?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hire a car and driver, document all the expenses and written proof of being denied for insurance, and send it to his lawyer for reimbursement!!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I don't understand though. He won't be driving the car, he has no licence. What's his insurance rating got to do with yours?

Must be different here. My rating is my own, and you just insure the car for you as the only driver. Is the car just in your name?
I've run into the same issue as the OP - except I'm not in the process of a divorce & my RAH had only one DUI.

It was basically explained to me like a joint liability - so I can't really exclude him as we still share a residence & are married & although I have never had an auto accident or infraction on MY record, my insurance costs soared to horrifying numbers. I seriously pay as much for auto insurance as I would for a brand-new car pymt & it INFURIATES me to no end since I have much bigger financial fish to fry but this money is funneling out of my acct to the insurance company instead.

And mind you - he has a SUSPENDED license & can't drive ANYWAY! I guess the insurance company figures most people with DUI won't stop driving just due to no license & that their legal issues won't stop them from drinking... making them a HUGE liability risk.

The impact of his actions is so far beyond one bad night & some fines. IDK when we will qualify for lower rates.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, i had my ex excluded as a driver on progressive. Helped that we weren't living together at the time though.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, that's just nuts! Are you positive? When I separated from my H in New York one of the very first things I did was get car insurance in my own name. I owned the car in my own name. I just excluded him as a driver. I was still married the day I did this and not legally separated.

Maybe it's different in your state. I hope you find a way to get insurance without him!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talk about adding insult to injury - I really hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Some years ago when my son lived with me, I had to sign a paper with my insurance company stating that they would not cover him if he drove my vehicle. He had a poor driving record. I was happy they did that as it enabled me to keep that boundary in place.