I'm new - changes in fiances face when he drinks

Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

BTW my limit this weekend was reached when I was inadvertently pulled down a flight of stairs as I was trying to keep A fiance from falling. I saw myself - us - through the eyes of the people who were watching this unfold and suddenly I could no longer normalize the chaos. Just like that.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulinFLA View Post
But I don't feel though that the sweet kind loving man that he is when he's sober is insincere. It's just that when he drinks, the beast takes over.
I agree with this completely. Completely.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liberator4EVA View Post
In a way this is harder for me to deal with, it feels like the hostility more closely reflects her true feelings.
Yes that's exactly it. The vile things he has said when he is drunk - I always ask myself if they are a reflection of his "true" feelings and thoughts. Since alcohol releases inhibitions, maybe, when he is drunk enough, he is finally uninhibited enough to say how he really feels. I dunno....

No matter how drunk I have ever been, I've never said or done anything like that - verbal, emotional, physical abuse, etc. I've read that no-one will do anything when they are drunk that would go contrary to their existing values and beliefs. If that is true, then on some level my fiance must believe that it is okay to do and say those things.... Just thinking out loud here....
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lilliput - Some things I have learned through this experience of being married to an alcoholic for more than 20years. It only gets worse. When someone shows you who they are BELIEVE THEM. Sorry you are dealing with this and I hope you find support for yourself. Learn absolutely as much as you can about alcoholism and its impact on the people around them.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
There can be a great deal of temptation to separate the evil drinker from the person we believe we know and love. Make no mistake: it's still the same man.
Wow! This was one of those eye opening statements for me. Something that I know- but know "I get it." Thanks!