Courage To Change: 06/11/14

Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 06/11/14

Step Nine says I need not make direct amends to those I have injured if, in doing so, I might cause further injury. How do I know whether or not to take action? If direct amends are inappropriate, I can trust my Higher Power to let me know. Otherwise, if I have worked the Eighth Step and become truly willing to make amends, I believe the opportunities will arise when I am ready. For example, I was unable to discuss my personal life with my mother. Fearing her rejection, I rejected her instead. An upcoming visit presented an opportunity to make amends, but I wasn’t sure I was ready. Would making amends at this time injure me? After my mother arrived, I had the feeling that this was “the time.” I prayed for courage and asked my Higher Power to help me find the words. My mother sat down with me in a quiet moment and, to my amazement, brought up every subject I had wanted to discuss. I realized that the opportunity to be close to her had always existed, but I hadn’t been willing, until then, to take part in it.

Today’s Reminder
My Higher Power does not put any challenges before me that I am unable to face. The comfort I find in that knowledge can overcome my fears.

“The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive.The great opportunity is where you are.”
John Burroughs