Courage To Change: 05/18/14

Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 05/18/14

Life doesn’t always go smoothly or peacefully, even though I might wish it would. In the past, when something bothered me, I’d say nothing rather than face an argument. It seemed better for me to be upset than to
risk upsetting someone else. The results were usually disastrous. I would become irritable and unreasonable as I let resentment fester. Today I suspect that adversity has value I hadn’t previously recognized. When I face adversity and deal with my problems or express my feelings, things have a chance to improve. Even if they don’t, I release some of the pressure I feel. I’m new at this, and I don’t do it very gracefully yet: sometimes it is scary, and sometimes my words are not exactly welcomed. Nevertheless, I feel better when I realize that I have finally begun living life on life’s terms. Looking back, I see how much I’ve grown. I wouldn’t
have chosen any of the crises in my life, but since coming to Al-Anon, I’ve learned that every problem can help me to change for the better, deepen my faith, and add to my self-esteem.

Today’s Reminder
The Chinese word for crisis is written with two characters. The first stands for danger, and the second for opportunity. I will look for the good hidden within everything I encounter.

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.”
Richard Bach