How Stung Got Her Groove Back

Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Stung Got Her Groove Back

I feel the best that I've felt in a loooooooong time. I feel like myself and I don't really care what anyone else thinks of me. Ah. Finally.

I went surfing on Saturday and it was so fun and it was something that I did just for myself and haven't done in a way too long. I. Had. So. Much. FUN!!!! It was free and easy and something that I can easily do every Saturday morning at the crack of dawn and not take away from anything else in my life. My face is sunburned like a mutha and my body is super sore and I can't wait to feel like this again.

Today, I was walking through Whole Foods with my babes picking up a few things and my 2 year old started dancing to the piped in music while sitting in the grocery cart, she had such a huge grin on her sweet little face and her little hands pumping . I silently thanked God for giving me these two little specks of love to remind me what love is about. I had a mini dance party with my 2 year old in Whole Foods because it was fun and because the piped in music was something that was danceable. Last week I would have been mortified at the idea of dancing in a Whole Foods, but now, I feel sorry for everyone that wasn't having as much carefree fun as we were.

Later this week I'm adding a surf roof rack to the Prius and I want to put wood siding on her sooooo bad and turn her into a Prius Woody because I think it would be AWESOME and fun and that's what life is about. From now on, I'm gonna let my freak flag fly.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

That's what it's all about. YOUR happiness. Way to go!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What a wonderful post!! I'm just tickled to read about your lovely time surfing and dancing with your little love.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post and if you turn it into a woody pics please!!!

Hoorah for you!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's the way to do it!! Way to be true to YOU!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy to hear this! Glad you enjoyed yourself surfing! Keep it up stung!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kewl. I'm all for joy.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your awesome!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are awesome. It's true, your kids inspire you.

Last night when I was putting my 6-year-old down, we were talking and he got kind of deep and I felt a little panicky. He was asking if we're safe here at our new place, what if there was ever a fire, etc. I was struck with guilt. I felt bad that he felt insecure. But I just turned the light on and talked to him honestly and then we ended up having a long talk and then I got him a little scoop of ice cream and put the movie "Elf" on for a few minutes while we cuddled. When he went to sleep he was laughing and happy and I felt SO good that I was able to comfort him. They are hard work for sure but amazing!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Great post! Maybe I should start surfing too!!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Emmy, I wholeheartedly agree and I'm very aware that she is a sponge. If I'm a jerk around her, she mimics me and it just breaks my heart that I'm teaching her bad habits. I feel guilty that I've already spent so much time being a Debby Downer around her the first half of this year. Time doesn't stop just because I'm having a difficult go at life. I was sad and that was fine, I pulled myself back up and I'm going to model a life that I want to share with my children. I just want to live a simple life doing things that I enjoy and I think the resulting happiness is infectious. Between surfing, fully enjoying my kids and the guided meditation that CodeJob recommended and weekly therapy sessions I feel like I'm radiating happiness right now and I like it! It has taken some hard work to get to this point but I feel like it's going to be really tough to pull me out of this frame of mind. Now I just need to keep working to make sure I stay here or at least can find my way back here easily.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get you completely. I was always super light-hearted. My friends described me as the fun one. Laughing and joking all the time. I feel like since the separation, I've had some crazy rough days. But on the other hand, I've been so much less consumed with worrying about what AH is doing that the real me comes out a lot more. We just laugh more and we listen to music all the time and just act silly, and it totally bonds us. I want them to see me like that and it's making me feel great.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you Stung! Wish I could go surfing with you! I've never done it before! I love dancing with my soon to be 1 year old granddaughter! I just bought her an elephant that sings : Hey hey... I wanna love you!!! Won't you be my girl?! And we both laugh so much!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went surfing on Saturday and it was so fun and it was something that I did just for myself and haven't done in a way too long. I. Had. So. Much. FUN!!!! It was free and easy and something that I can easily do every Saturday morning at the crack of dawn and not take away from anything else in my life. My face is sunburned like a mutha and my body is super sore and I can't wait to feel like this again.

Today, I was walking through Whole Foods with my babes picking up a few things and my 2 year old started dancing to the piped in music while sitting in the grocery cart, she had such a huge grin on her sweet little face and her little hands pumping . I silently thanked God for giving me these two little specks of love to remind me what love is about. I had a mini dance party with my 2 year old in Whole Foods because it was fun and because the piped in music was something that was danceable. Last week I would have been mortified at the idea of dancing in a Whole Foods, but now, I feel sorry for everyone that wasn't having as much carefree fun as we were.
Yes yes yes!

There's no surf where I live, so I'm learning to surf the streets on my bike. I really believe that learning how to play again -- OUTDOORS -- and to be present in my body while being really active and HAVING FUN has been a major component of my recovery. It has made all the difference in my home, with my kids, I've made new friends whose interests lie in being active and free.

How do you find joy? What makes your gratitude cups overflow? Dancing in the grocery store? Surfing? Biking? WHATEVER. Just do it, and do it as much as you can!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you for having fun. Makes life so much more rewarding, doesn't it?

My bf drives a big SUV. Over the weekend he said that when he gets a new car in a year or two, he thinks he will get a prius! What? He used to make fun of them less than a year ago. I think the concept of fuel efficiency and low maintenance is overriding his macho side. Evolution.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome, Stung! Impromptu dance parties are the best (and I'm so jealous that 1 you can surf and 2 you live somewhere where you CAN surf!) I so wish I'd figured this out when my kids were the age of yours. Way to go, mama
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You go girl!!! I hope to be where you are someday. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yaaaaaa Stung! Good for you sweetie, you sound fantastic!