Courage To Change 05/06/14

Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 05/06/14

I was intimidated by Step Five, because it meant revealing my darkest secrets to another person. Afraid that I would be rejected for being less than perfect, I put so much energy into hiding the truth that, although no one rejected me, I was as isolated and lonely as if they had. When I realized how painful it was to continue living that way, I found a Sponsor and asked for help. We worked the Fifth Step, and I shared some of my characteristics and attitudes that I found particularly shameful.
My Sponsor began to laugh. “You see,” he quickly explained, “I’m laughing because five years ago I said the same things to my Sponsor, almost word for word!” I would never have imagined the universality of my
experiences. I would never have guessed that, in sharing what I felt made me different from other people, I would discover how alike we all really are.

Today’s Reminder
Many have known shame and fear and many have known joy. Sharing mine with others today will make my ride through life a smoother one.

“Deep down I had the nagging knowledge that there would be no real relief from myself until I could bring my problem out in the open and talk to somebody else about it . . .”
As We Understood