Couples session today

Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Are you being tested? Probably! When you first asked out your wife on a date, you were being tested in a sense too and she was too.

I think she just wants to see and feel some effort on your part. After feeling neglected, lonely, last, etc for sometime....I wanted to see some effort by my husband. I wanted to feel loved, valued and special again. I wasn't going to "settle" again.

I wasn't testing my feelings, I was testing his sincerity.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Doc---maybe you could just refer to your dating excursions as "episodes of rediscovery".
Same, same.

or, just "intermittent episodes of conscious re-coupling experiences"lmao

dandylion
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What Im about to say isnt exactly about dating my husband, but when he was in rehab I would go visit him often, and we had family sessions together also. They were at night and even though visiting hours were officially over, they would let me stay longer and we had dinner together. He was in rehab for 3 months and looking back on it now, we had a lot of good time together, almost like mini dates. It was a huge place by the beach and we could go for walks together and then we would just sit there and talk. It was sort of like everything was stripped away, all of home and the business of everyday life and we had time together to just be, to feel. It helped us heal and grow closer along with the counseling sessions together.

That was last year. A few weeks ago we had a family session and afterward he surprised me with a walk on the beach. He had somehow managed to sneak a little duffle into the car without me noticing, and he brought raspberry donuts and chilled bottled water. I used to bring donuts sometimes when I would go visit him, and he told me that day how much it meant to him, just simple little things like that and my being there for him.

So maybe in some way you can think of dating like that, as not really dating but a chance for you both to be vulnerable together and accept each other for who you are today.

I hope it works out for the marriage, but your right you will be ok even if doesn't.