Dreading this holiday weekend...

Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Happy Easter, Amanda. Babysitting your 2 yr old niece sounds great! I hope it goes well.

As for the rest, even with being married 27 yrs I really do get it. I would never recommend a long term relationship with an alcoholic unless they've been working an active recovery program for a long time. And only then with counseling and education. You deserve so much better than him. One day at a time. Keep working on you and good things start to happen.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Amanda, after reading your second post with more detail I can see why staying with him would be like booking a cabin on the Titanic.
Some people are brilliant at work but chaotic in their personal lives. I'm a modified version of that in that I am pretty lazy at home and yet I make a hard-working and conscientious employee; go figure.
So if you intend to employ him, go for it, but if you want him in your personal life, not so wise. A lot of extroverts are very charming, which makes them great company on a superficial level. Whether the chaos of his personal life is due to alcoholism, or there's some other mental health problem is like the chicken and the egg. When you see him amongst all his friends at work, you can bet most of them don't know him that well.
I hope you can move on and detach; you certainly sound like you're a sane and capable person.