Slightly OT - "Strictly Soulmates"

Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Posted by Stung-I personally do think alcoholism is a learned coping mechanism that is learned from friends or family, therefore I think someone who is Jewish or Mormon or Muslim and follows strictly within the beliefs of their faith, that they are much less likely to become an addict of any kind. I don't think genes really have much to do with it, but that's just my opinion which pretty much means diddly squat

Interesting article..In Utah (Mormon).more people died from prescription drug overdose than traffic accidents.. Dr Bob of The Big Book of Alcoholics defines alcoholism an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind.

Judge's arrest shines light on Utah's prescription drug abuse problem | Deseret News
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My RABF did not grow up in an alcoholic home and was active in the Mormon church growing up. His grandfather was a recovered (before my guy was born) alcoholic. My guy, and his brother are alcoholics and then there is his sister who "quit" drinking"...my grand father died of alcoholism... My he and my grand mother came from a very catholic family with several brothers and sisters aunts and uncles who werepriests and nuns on both sides...none of their children had alcoholism but were religious codependents and I have several cousins from those non drinking parents who are alcoholics...genetics? No scientist but I think there is a connection.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lcoholics.html